Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, (USA) Cummins currently employs approximately 48,000 people worldwide and serves customers in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of approximately 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 6,800 dealer locations. Cummins earned $1.48 billion on sales of $17.3 billion in 2013.
Job Title: Sales Engineering Graduate
- Sells company products and services by developing new prospects and accounts.
- Achieves sales targets and ensures customer satisfaction.
- Develops relationships to generate customer goodwill and loyalty.
- Conducts negotiations according to company guidelines.
- Identifies, researches, and contacts prospective customers and builds positive relationships that will generate future sales and repeat business.
- Responds to customer concerns about the company and its products.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to less experienced sales representatives.
- Drives utilization of Cummins tools and processes (i.e. Customer Relationship Management, Customer focus Six Sigma).
University Graduate 1 -2 Years post graduation
- Verbal communication and presentation skills utilizing telephone and web technologies.
- Possesses listening and written communication skills.
- May not have sufficient opportunities to demonstrate all skills.
- Moderate support is required to apply the skills effectively in typical work situations.
- Focus on Customer Needs - Familiar with key Cummins customers. Knowledge would include business strategies, organizational structures, geographic footprints, financial results, internal processes, and primary needs for effective segmentation.
- Anticipates and takes action to meet customer needs. Continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction.
- Knowledgeable of vital customer information required to make informed business decisions. Able to leverage customer contact to both attain customer specific information and educate the customer to provide a match between Customer needs and Cummins offerings to maximize sales opportunities.
- Consistently demonstrates ability to establish rapport, meet commitments, and develop effective working relationships with customers.
- Sales Negotiation - Basic understanding of negotiating tactics and can recognize the balance of power within a negotiation.
- Manage Customer Disagreements - Manages customer conflicts and disagreements through collaborative resolution.
- Account Planning - Basic understanding of the purpose for an account plan.
- Some knowledge of how to establish goals and define action items to achieve the goals. Has seen account plans that were developed by others.
- Product Knowledge - Knowledge of products/services and product/service lines.
- With guidance able to represent the features and benefits to sell the products and services. Able to collect customer needs and suggest product applications to solve problems and create benefits for the customer.
- Service Knowledge - Knowledge of the organizational structure of the Regional Distribution Organizations (RDOs). Familiarity with the services offered by the distribution channel.
- This includes whole good sales, part sales and distribution, maintenance and repair services, dealer support, and other areas of revenue generation.
- Aware of the functional objectives and organizational structure of the DBU.
- Aware of the Distributor Scorecard elements for North American and International Distributors, as well as the dealer network and how it operates.