Our company serves approximately 160 million people by producing and distributing a unique portfolio of quality brands, bringing passion to marketplace implementation, and demonstrating leadership in corporate social responsibility.
Job Title: Engineering & Project Safety Manager
- The Engineering & Projects Safety Manager reports to the Country Safety Manager.This position will be responsible for implementing and/or administering safety programs during the life of engineering/construction projects.
- Day to day, the engineering and projects safety manager will be involved in making sure safety design requirements of engineering and construction projects, equipment and machinery are met.
- The Key Responsibilities of the role are:
- Conducts compliance evaluations of equipment, structures, and work in progress to ensure that regulatory environmental, safety, and health standards of the company and all applicable codes are followed.
- Verifies and ensures that all field project activities are performed according to the Company safety policy, regulations, standards and procedures, promoting all preventive and corrective actions as required.
- Reviews projects safety management plans, method statements, construction drawings and risk assessments .
- Reviews plans and specifications for new machinery and equipment to make sure they meet safety requirements.
- Identify and correct potential hazards by inspecting facilities, machinery, and safety equipment.
- Guides engineers in how to incorporate safety requirements into the engineering project designs.
- Oversees safety issues during project development.
- Prepares and reviews technical reports, correspondence, and safety procedures.
- Promotes and encourages sustained implementation and continuous improvement of best safety practice, culture and performance.
- Checks that contractors perform their activities in accordance with all the safety applicable procedures, regulation and standards and contractual Safety requirements.
- Promoting all necessary action to ensure that the said procedures and regulations are observed.
- Organize, plan and participate in periodic safety walk-through, assessments,inspections and audits on site, prepare all the relevant reports, action plans, verify the follow up and the timely execution of the corrective action.
- Organize and participate in all relevant project sites safety meetings, prepares the relevant minutes of meetings (MOM), Lead weekly Safety meetings with contractors.
- Organize in case of work incidents/accidents a full investigation of the event, finalized to the identification and execution of corrective measures to avoid re-occurrence.
- Prepare and update the projects safety statistics, verify the performance versus the project and corporate safety objective, targets and performance indicators; propose recovery plan in case of mismatch.
- Prepare Safety training materials; procedures & processes for construction and Engineering Operations. .
- Participate in HAZOP, HAZID studies and JSA risk assessments to mitigate Safety risks.
- Prepare company and project documentations (Plans, procedures, risk assessments etc.) regarding Engineering and Construction Operations.
- Control, approve and audit of safety documentations of all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Organize general Safety auditing system for all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Organize and also execute site audits for all contractors and their subcontractors.
- Prepare audit reports and record open item to an action item list for tracking.
- Prepare Contractor evaluation reports.
- Prepare Safety checklists for Project sites & Engineering inspections.
- Prepare training matrix, procedure and materials for all project employees.
- Prepare monthly & weekly reports including KPIs for Contractors.
- Prepare Safety incentive system for the Project including subcontractors Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- B.Sc. or HND in Industrial, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or other related fields.
- Desired candidate must be a member ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria); Recognized Health & Safety qualification (OHSAS 18001 and NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health).
- Membership of any of the following bodies would also be an advantage; Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)/ National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)/ International Institute of Risk & Safety Management. (IIRSM)
Skills and Experience
- Safety/Engineering/ Construction/ Project Management experience (Minimum of 5 years) within a beverage/soft drinks or similar process manufacturing / Construction/ Engineering Company.
- In depth knowledge of key Health & Safety practices and associated legislative requirements at national level essential.
- Ability to investigate and identify root causes behind H&S issues/incidents and develop pragmatic options for resolution.
- Safety Management and Technical understanding
- Project Management skills:
- Able to review Designs, Specifications and Plans
- Good time management skills essential.
- Ability to organize and manage mixed ability teams in order to solve specific H&S related problems.
- Good awareness of organizational structures for effective ownership and management of Health& Safety; Job design; performance management.
- Audio/visual skills in presentation of information and training material are essential.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to drive and enforce standards and influence people.
- Ability to design and deliver training courses to different levels of Employees and Contractors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop good relations at all levels both internally and externally.
- Post holder must be highly motivated and flexible in approach, with ability to prioritize, plan and implement his or her own work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent command of English language required - written and spoken.
- Willingness to travel within and outside the country.
- Good understanding of CAD/CAM Design application, MS Office Applications
- Experience working in high-stress environments and a proven ability to exercise judgment even in a crisis.