Africa is one of the fastest growing economies in the world, offering excellent opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment. Its economic growth has enabled innovative businesses to flourish and this is where Jumia steps in.
We are currently looking for talented people to join our team and embark on an exciting journey in the core of business development.
Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Manager
- As HSE Manager, your responsibility is to carry out day to day operations of the HSE department and contribute to the application of effective Health, Safety and Environmental management by providing technical support. You will ensure compliance to safety legislations and that safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to by all employees.
- Review all aspects of the organization Health and Safety policy and activity, and ensure consistent implementation across the organisation.
- Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming Health and Safety legislation and ensure that the organization has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance.
- Develop and implement health and safety strategies, internal policies, programs and procedures.
- Carry out risk assessments and ensure reduction to minimum
- Investigate incidents, establish causes and recommend preventive action against a recurrence
- Conduct regular HSE training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention.
- Schedule and conduct regular HSE meetings with stakeholders within the warehouse environment
- Perform regular inspection of facility, operations and employees and take walks around the warehouse floor on a regular basis to establish HSE presence and provide necessary support.
- Report to management on health and safety awareness, issues and statistics and act as an advisor on HSE matters.
BSc/BA in Safety Management or any relevant field from a reputable University
Valid professional certification in Occupational, Health & Safety is mandatory (NEBOSH, etc)
Skills and Experience
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities
- In-depth knowledge of health and safety legislations, willingness to remain updated with new laws and ability to interpret to suit the companies needs
- A flexible approach to work and adaptability to working shifts
- Outstanding investigative ability
- Negotiating skills necessary to convince managers of the need to implement and maintain safety standards that may compromise speed or efficiency in the organisation
- Patience and diplomacy because the profession requires a collaborative approach
- Reporting Skills
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in an Environmental, Health and Safety position with evidence of participation in relevant HSE workshops or trainings
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Good knowledge of warehousing operations
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced organization with a dynamic environment
Closing Date: Not Specified