It started with a commitment to build powerful, dependable products and for 95 years, we've designed hundreds of new products and hired & promoted thousands of people. We are committed to building partnerships with our people, our customers, our environment and our communities. This is how we do business. And we call Working Right.
Job Title: Sales Manager
- Manages a sales organization and responsible for sales activity and operations for a medium to large business segment (i.e. territory, product line, market segment).
- Oversees that the salesforce is working safely and that the Cummins Culture of Safety is present and strong within the Salesforce.
- Consistently delivers profitable growth by providing our customers with valued Cummins solutions by working with and through the entire salesforce.
- Plans, controls, and directs activities of the sales force.
- Sets and achieves sales goals associated with revenue and profit targets.
- Sets strategic approach to sales and approves development and implementation sales objectives, strategies and promotional programs and holds their direct and dotted line teams accountable for the execution.
- Sets strategic approach to identify and pursue growth opportunities and holds their direct and dotted line teams accountable for the execution.
- Coaches, develops and motivates sales staff; provides guidance and direction on problems and issues; delegates works assignments considering employee skills and development needs.
- Identifies function and department issues, problems, and opportunities to support continuous process improvement initiatives.
- Drives utilization of Cummins tools and processes (i.e. Customer Relationship Management, Customer Focus Six Sigma).
- Provides accurate reporting and forecasting of sales demand to the entity leadership team and to regional and/or global sales leadership. This is accomplished through utilization of Cummins tools and processes (i.e. common sales cycle, Customer Relationship Management Systems).
- Builds and maintains outstanding relationships with key customer and business leaders by maintaining quarterly face-to-face contact with key customer management.
- Manages the development of methods, processes, and procedures to resolves some complex issues.
- Develops and manages sales (revenue and prime margin metrics at a minimum), financial controls, and risk ensuring operations are executed efficiently and within established budgets.
- Assures good communication and coordination between account management, field sales, upstream influencers, sales management, inside sales and sales analysts (as applicable) to attain the goals of the sales strategy and culture, management of customers, sales talent management and sales operations.
University or college degree in the field of Sales or Marketing, or an acceptable combination of education and experience. Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate a plus. Sales Champion certified in at least one market desirable.
- Focus on Customer Needs - In depth knowledge of key Cummins customers. Knowledge would include business strategies, organizational structures, geographic footprints, financial results, internal processes, and primary needs for effective segmentation. Anticipates and takes action to meet customer needs. Continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction. Knowledgeable of vital customer information required to make informed business decisions. Able to leverage network of customer contacts to attain customer specific information listed above as well as to attain customer specific information to provide a match between Customer needs and Cummins offerings to maximize sales opportunities. Consistently demonstrates ability to establish rapport, meet commitments, and develop effective working relationships with customers.
- Sales Calls - Able to formulate sales call plans, conduct calls according to plans, gather information to strengthen the sales position and progress through the sales process. Utilizes appointment and customer contact management software.
- Manage Customer Relationships - Develops rapport, builds trust, and creates value in relationships with customers and channel partners. Identifies decision makers and those influential in the decision process and effectively communicates with them. In managing this relationship, displays core values (e.g. empathy, etc.) and is able to adequately interrogate matter to identify root concerns. Awareness proficiency level plus, uses appointment tracking system, documents call plans, meeting notes and action items. Has established rapport, delivered on commitments, and developed a positive relationship with customers.
- Manage Customer Disagreements - Manages customer conflicts and disagreements through collaborative resolution.
- Sales Negotiation - Able to identify negotiating tactics used by customers and how to manage them. Familiar with Customer Market Profitability tools that can be utilized during negotiations. Can recognize the balance of power within a negotiation and has the skills to alter that balance. Drives toward collaborative relationships (i.e. win/win relationships).
- Product Knowledge - Business-specific knowledge of what Cummins is trying to sell (features, benefits, applications, etc.). Knowledge of products and product lines. Able to represent the features and benefits to sell the products. Able to recognize customer needs and suggest product applications to solve problems and create benefits for the customer. Able to teach others to formulate effective messages and represent the features and benefits of the product.
- Account Planning - Is able to develop strategies to grow business, formulate marketing plans, identify support needs and measure progress. Understands what strategies need to be put in place to strengthen customer relationships. Uses the Customer Market Profitability tools that support account planning as well as customer loyalty NPS tools and process.
- Account Team Leadership - In depth knowledge of systems and processes designed to deliver goods to customers and support customer needs. Able to direct others to use the systems, processes and support organization to support customer needs and deliver to customer expectations. Uses the Customer Market Profitability tools that support account management.
- Channel Awareness - Ability to facilitate work with channel management organization and channel partners to more effectively meet the customer's needs.
- Sales reporting and forecasting - Able to accurately report actual and project future sales and margin results by a relevant segmentation (i.e. product line, territory, customer or market segment)
- Financial Understanding - Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data from financial systems, as well as the ability to execute a business case. Knowledge of the leverage pricing has on financial results. Familiar with tax and duty structures.
Significant level of relevant work experience required. Experience as a sales representative and other sales support function desirable. Experience in strategy, management/budget holding, product, technical roles beneficial. Significant travel may be required.
Closing Date: Ongoing