Sunday, 30 October 2016

Immigration Service finally re-employs 888 dismissed staff


The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has reabsorbed 888 of the 2,000 staff dismissed in 2015, the Comptroller-General of the service, Muhammed Babandede, said yesterday.
Speaking at a news conference in Abuja yesterday, Babandede said only 1,470 of those who reported for the screening exercise between August 29 and September 6, 2016 as part of the criteria of reabsorbing them.


“177 Assistant Superintendents of Immigration II, 305 Assistant Inspectors of Immigration and 406 Immigration Assistants 1 and Immigration Assistants III were cleared,” he said.

Babandede said the recommendations from the exercise had been submitted to the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB) for confirmation, adding that letters of provisional appointment would be issued to successful candidates thereafter.

It would be recalled that after the tragic recruitment exercise on March 15, 2014 which resulted in the death of 16 persons, the Goodluck Jonathan-led federal government set up a presidential committee to assist the CDFIPB in conducting a fresh recruitment.

However, Babamdede said the committee usurped the powers of the board and unilaterally carried out a recruitment exercise in February 2015 without due consultations with CDFIPB. He said the recruitment saga had finally been put to rest.

President Muhammad Buhari had ordered the cancellation of the exercise after assuming office but the affected 2,000 successful candidates who were undergoing an induction exercise when they were sent home, protested the suspension of their appointments.

Source: Daily Trust

0 comments:

Post a Comment