SSG is now accepting applications for an Off-Grid Renewable Energy Enterprise Development Specialist, to be staffed on an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded activity focused on transforming the power sector in Nigeria. The position would be full-time and based in Lagos.
Job Title: Off-Grid Renewable Energy Enterprise Development Specialist, Nigeria
- SSG is now accepting applications for an Off-Grid Renewable Energy Enterprise Development Specialist, to be staffed on an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded activity focused on transforming the power sector in Nigeria.
- The position would be full-time and based in Lagos.
- The Specialist will work with project partners and off-grid energy access entrepreneurs in Nigeria to foster the development of enterprises that advance project goals.
- He/she will be responsible for working with SSG and the project partners to identify and support promising energy access enterprises.
- This includes providing these enterprises with development services such as capacity building and assisting them in raising capital.
- Work with the project and SSG home office teams to develop a process to seek out energy access enterprises operating in Nigeria;
- Develop operational processes for originating, screening, and supporting companies in the project's pipeline;
- Identify and apply existing, relevant methodologies (i.e. USAID's OCAT, UnLtd's Social Entrepreneur's Toolkit, etc) to help energy access enterprises assess their business development, financing, and operational needs;
- Provide strategic advisory and mentorship to selected enterprises;
- Support capital raising through technical assistance for investment proposal preparation, feasibility studies, introduction to potential investors, and more;
- Organize promotional events to foster engagement between energy access enterprises and investors;
- Lead investor outreach and engagement, identifying potential sources of public and private financing and to connect energy access enterprises with potential investors;
- Work with the project team to monitor and evaluate the process of selecting and supporting enterprises over time;
- As requested/needed, perform other tasks to support project activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in energy-related engineering policy, business, finance, economics or related field, advanced degree is strongly preferred
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in Africa;
- A strong understanding of the Nigerian and regional small-scale renewable energy sector;
- Experience planning, developing, or financing, off-grid projects in the developing country context
- Familiarity with the design and/or implementation of energy access business models focused on Base of the Pyramid (BoP) clients in emerging markets;
- Experience delivering capacity building and training sessions for entrepreneurs;
- A proven ability to negotiate and work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders;
- Ability to work independently and effectively within tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel up to 30% time;
- Nigerian work authorization required
- Native proficiency in written and spoken English, as well as strong knowledge of one or more of the following: Hausa, Igbo, or Yoruba.
Method of Application
- Qualified candidates should submit their CV to email@example.com.
- Please include "Off-Grid Renewable Energy Enterprise Development Specialist" in the email subject line, and save documents as 'Last Name_First Name.pdf' (e.g., Smith_Jane.pdf).
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. SSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.