The R&D Department constantly seeks and pushes the limits of what is technically feasible.
About 100 colleagues are committed to this daily. Within R&D, your team focuses on Cutters and Flexx. The way we cut rubber is distinctive in the market and the latest patents are the basis for the developments. The chosen machine concepts are unique in the industry and are a key factor in our success.
Job Title: System Engineer R&D
- As System Engineer in R&D, you lead a multidisciplinary team (mechanics, software, hardware) that is developing a new generation of machines for the rubber and tire industries.
- You work in projects for new and unique applications in the fields of cutting and splicing rubber with a steelcord or synthetic inlay, and in this position you work closely with other VMI R&D Departments such as Extrusion, Vision and Tire Building.
- In this position it is important that you have an eye for the overall process, in which the machines and applications from the other Departments often perform essential functions in the concept.
- In collaboration with the group leader you perform the role of system designer, and with the other designers you determine the system architecture in which you play a decisive role.
- From a mechatronic approach, you have the leading role in the various phases of the project, namely: the feasibility study – resulting in a proof of concept; the full-scale design – resulting in a proof of design; and the building, verification and validation of a working prototype.
- You are responsible for setting and monitoring the specifications and the functional and technical description (FTD) by which you challenge the team to creative and reliable solutions.
- Thus it is important that you have sufficient technical knowledge to assess the technical proposals for their feasibility and reliability and that you have sufficient authority to defend, in a broader context, the choices made.
- You also work with Sales. In this role, you visit customers and give requested presentations on the latest capabilities of our machines.
- Dutch TU-WTB (or equivalent), or other technical direction and sufficient relevant experience
- At least five years' work experience in the design of complex mechatronic machines
- Experience in machine building and in the design of machines
- Extensive experience with concept and feasibility studies
- Experience working according to Stage-Gate models or V-model, or both (a plus)
- Experience with high dynamic and stiff structures
- Knowledge of and experience with FMEA
- Initiative, enthusiasm and troubleshooting skills
- Good spoken and written communication skills (Dutch and English)
- Willingness to travel
- A challenging leading position with technical depth, freedom and room for personal initiative
- A strong corporate product portfolio that has great potential in international markets
- A friendly and professional working environment
- Opportunities to broaden your talents in an international organization
- Ample training opportunities
- Excellent terms of employment and a wonderful traffic-free living and working environment
Location: Epe, Lagos