Job Title: Associate Geo-data Analyst
- The Associate Geodata Analyst designs, compiles and analyzes data; and prepares data, analysis, maps and mapping applications for various eHealth Africa’s departments and relevant stakeholders using specialized computer software.
- S/he works collaboratively to prepare detailed reports to meet internal and external requirements.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Develops computer interfacing, data translation, data collection, mobile, web and computer applications using GIS and data collection applications.
- Coordinates the acquisition of new spatial data and supervises the integration of the data into eHA’s GIS. Identifies, understands, and articulates solutions for issues by means of strong knowledge of open source GIS tools including PostGIS, gdal, QGIS and Geoserver, and ArcGIS (including ArcGIS for Desktop and other ArcGIS technologies).
- Supports the development and maintenance of custom processes and models to ensure data quality assurance.
- Manages individual data and application’s development projects.
- Coordinates directly with all eHA’s departments to develop and maintain specific GIS data and analysis.
- Conducts GIS data capture using Global Positioning System (GPS) positioning equipment and other means.
- Provides support for GIS data conversion, systems integration and application’s development and implementation.
- Designs, develops, tests, documents and certifies applications, programmes and systems functionality.
- Assists with designing and implementing training plans.
- Provides support and training on various aspects of GIS software, database creation and use. Coordinates GIS activities with programmers and technicians.
- Responsible for updating, maintaining mapping standards and work processes.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots problems with the use of GIS and any related software problems. Conducts complex analysis using ArcGIS and QGIS in a variety of projects.
- Maintains GIS database as assigned by the Lead Geodata Analyst or GIS Manager, including inputting and correcting data, determining formats, researching data conversions, establishing data specifications, updating sources and maintaining data integrity.
- Provides specifications for software and hardware to facilitate eHA’s needs regarding GIS.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings, seminars and trainings in order to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of geographic information systems technology.
- Performs other duties assigned by Management.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Geoinformatics, Geography, Surveying, Cartography, Social Science or related field. Minimum of three (3) years of GIS experience preferably in the Nonprofit sector or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Significant and advanced GIS experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
- Relevant working experience in an NGO is desirable. Demonstrated Knowledge of GIS data principles, practices and Techniques, Cartography and data collection systems. Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, GIS maps production, spatial database management, spatial analysis/reporting tasks. Ability to interpret land descriptions, maps, drawings, charts, plans, survey records, and aerial photos.
- Advanced knowledge and skill in the operation of GIS
- Advanced knowledge and skill in the operation of GIS surveying and related equipment, including computer hardware, plotter/printer setup, GPS. Prior experience with AutoCAD is preferred. Provide support in the implementation and maintenance of various geographic information systems applications.
- Must possess excellent administrative and communication skills. Demonstrates attention to detail, good writing and listening skills. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills. Ability to work independently and in a team. Must possess good problem solving skills.
Certifications and Licenses
- First Aid and Health & Safety qualifications desirable.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency working within specialized software utilized in program.
- Experience with ESRI software, specifically the ArcGIS suite (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) Spatial Analyst, geodatabases and ESRI’s extensions (Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst), Open Source GIS (QGIS, PostGIS and Geoserver), FME Desktop and python.