Dangote Group continues to grow its vision of becoming the leading provider of essential needs in Food and Shelter in Sub-Saharan Africa with sustained market leadership in Cement Manufacturing, Sugar Milling, Sugar Refining, Flour Milling, Manufacturing of Pasta (Spaghetti & Macaroni), Operation of Cement Terminals, Port Operations, Noodles Manufacturing, Packaging Material Production and Salt Refining.
Job Title: Head, Health Safety and Environmental - National Salt Company of Nigeria Plc. (NASCON)
- With responsibiligty for thhe growth, development and mentoring of the team, a key requirement is the proven ability to clear NASCON HSE strategic direction, continuously improving HSE Performance while maintaining compliance with DIL Group HSSE Policies, standards and guidance ensuring all HSE programs, procedures, training, work practices and controls are effectively implemented.
- Drive HSE leadership across NASCON.
- Provide for a clearly defined HSE management system for NASCON to identify and define the processes and procedures requires by regulation and group HSSE to protect the health and safety of employees, subcontractors, customers and the environment.
- Define the HSE competency framework to which employees should be working to within NASCON ensuring personnel are fully aware of risks associated with their work environment, in line with the above and DIL aligned.
- Ensure that adequate training is set up (workshops where appropriate) in the line with the competency framework.
- Provide an enhanced management system for high risk areas with NASCON, E.g. Plant, food and process safety with relevant guidance and training for operational team to adhere to.
- Drive the effort to embed the behavioral standard in NASCON.
- Lead an effective audit program to include identification of breaches to company policies and correct of “at-risk” conditions and/or behaviours.
- Introduce a regime of regular inspections and monitoring as part of compliance verification using relevant subject matters experts (SMEs). Monitor exposure risks for employees. Check adequacy of controls and work with operational team to address gaps and /or deficiencies in the system.
- Working with the operational management team, implement programs and processes that increase overall employee development engagement and retention in the area of HSE.
- Ensure a robust change management system in place to capture all safety related risks and associated controls to ensure layers of protection are maintained.
- Working with operational team agree:
- Leading and lagging KPIs that are suitable and sufficient for PMP EMA and globally aligned:
- Annual improvement plans around HSE.
- TRACK Leading and lagging KPIs and report back to high level operational management, especially around corrective action mgt.
- Ensure a robust HSE related investigations and follow up is in place for all sites.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills in driving accountability with the operational teams through effective communication to ensure compliance as a minimum but also drive encourage excellence in the area of HSE.
- Provide strategic vision for the future of NASCON, outlining areas of weakness, ensuring actions plans are in place, including involvement in and active encouragement of capital planning around HSE related improvements.
- Provide HSE reports for the NASCON leadership team, external stakeholders and incorporate any recommendations/comments emerging from the review of the report.
- Promote, support and monitor occupational health in co-operation with the HR team so that a holistic approach to managing work-related health issues is embedded.
- Work closely with the group HSSE to embed the BU HSE strategy. Ensure ongoing interactions with group HSSE and other Bus HSE colleagues to ensure group HSSE alignment and sharing of best practice and learning.
- Excellent technical capabilities, very good working knowledge of applicable H&S legislation, occupational health and safety hazards identification and risk assessment, occupational health and safety accident and illness prevention and protection techniques and international standards.
- Strong knowledge of occupational health and safety and process safety issues related to one or more of the industry sectors relevant to Dangote industries limited and a mature and level-headed approach to business;
- Possess a style of clear and effective communication, both oral and written. Very good level of cross cultural communication skills including public relations, negotiation, liaison, mentoring, information sharing and conflict resolution;
- Be able to differentiate between negligible H&S issues of possible material impact. Know when and how to involve appropriate legal and technical personnel within and outside the company to address and issues;
- Have the skills and attitude to act in a proactive manner to anticipate problems and solve existing problems in the context of operational requirements and H&s regulatory constraints;
- Able to listen to opinions, formulate recommendations in a confident and constructive manner;
- Project management, negotiation/dispute mitigation and presentation skills
- Work Context
- The areas of HSE have broadly defined polices at corporate and group level. The challenge of this role is to both: collaborate with peers in the other sites in further developing and enhancing these broadly defined policies as well as translating them into strategic objectives to drive NASCON business improvement in HSE. The job involves a high level of persuasion, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Science, Engineering or Environmental related discipline
- Advanced degree preferred;
- Member of an internationally recognized environmental/safety/health professional body preferred. (E.g. IOSH, CMIOSH advantageous) - Chartered health and safety practitioner preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of working in an engineering, food processing, chemical and/ or pharmaceutical environment.
- Demonstrable experience in the application of HSE management systems.
- Proven experience in the supervision/management of professional and administrative staff.
- Track record in influencing positive organizational; change inside organization;
- Development and implementation of integrated management systems according to international; standards e.g ISO 14001, OHSAS18001 (ISO 45001) and ISO 22000 international standards
The Candidate must be able to demonstrate that they have the following:
- Ability to persuade and influence successfully at all levels of the business
- Strong communication skills at all levels and across all disciplines
- System literate
30th November, 2016.
How to Apply
- Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and Cover Letters (with the relevant position included in the subject line of their email) to: email@example.com