Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party, Nigeria
- The DCOP will report to the Chief of Party.
- The DCOP will be responsible for providing day-to-day project leadership in the management of project operations and oversight for technical, operational, and administrative staff.
- Candidate should possess strong management, administrative and communication skills (including report writing).
- Oversee project operations, communications, human resources, security, and some cross-cutting areas (gender, social inclusion) and senior technical staff. Provide leadership to develop, implement and monitor the S2S work plan.
- Interface with both USAID and other counterparts regarding the overall direction of the project in the absence of the COP.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with key stakeholders, including government counterparts, grantees, and implementing partners.
- Manages overall performance and results of the program in a partner state, including management and oversight of the program’s technical, operational, and administrative staff.
- Liaises regularly with COP and State Managers on management and decision-making.
- Work closely with COP, technical staff, pertinent RTI regional and home office staff and appropriate USAID staff when necessary to ensure project resources are effectively and efficiently budgeted, analyzed, disbursed, monitored and reported in achieving project objectives.
- Directly supervise and mentor project staff.
- Advanced degree in business administration, accounting or other relevant field, or equivalent experience and certifications and a minimum of 12 years’ experience in management of complex, development assistance programs; at least 5 years’ experience working to strengthen state and local governments or decentralization.
- Experience in Nigeria highly preferred.
- Previous experience with USAID-funded programs, and fluency with USAID policies and procedures related to procurement, operations.
- Strong technical experience in one or more of the following areas: Governance (including civil society and/or decentralization), Municipal Finance, Public Services, Local Economic Development, Grants Management and Social Inclusion will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience and strong knowledge of state and local government operations, and the ability to work with subnational institutions to develop and implement project activities.
- Excellent track record of good interpersonal, supervision, leadership and managerial skills;
- Verbal and written fluency in the English language along with strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff.
- Ability and willingness to live in Nigeria and travel frequently within Northern Nigeria.