The protection and assistance to conflict affected population is provided within a long term, regional and rights based approach in order to constitute a coherent and effective response to the challenges posed by today’s conflicts. Assistance consists of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation as well as promotion of long term solutions to displacement and its causes. In addition, support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integral part of DRC’s work.
Job Title: Finance Manager
- Under the supervision of the Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA), the Finance Manager will ensure that all financial functions in the country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner.
- The Finance Manager ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC’s internal policies and procedures and provides support to the program management teams as required.
- The Finance Manages is directly managing and supervising the Finance Officer at the Country Office and is supervsing (technichallly, i.e dotted lined supervision) the Finance Officers in the Base Offices.
Accounting / Finance
- Maintain cashbooks as recommended and ensure timely submission to HoFA.
- Maintain banking relations and plan/monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC/DDG programs
- Monitor the petty cash handled by the finance staff
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets in collaboration with the Head of Bases and technical managers, implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Head of Bases and relevant team members
- Plan and maintain oversight of co-funding requirements
- Develop and maintain local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
- ensure timely payment of salaries, and all suppliers/partners’ invoices by finance.
- supervise the preparation of vouchers and related invoices.
- monitor cash flow and liquidity of the country programme.
- Prepare quality financial reports for RO/HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors
- Compile the accounting/financial data for the monthly report.
- Prepare the monthly accounting report as required by the DRC/DDG Nigeria, regional office and HQ.
- Maintain a timely and proper organization of the accounting supporting documents into files according to DRC/DDG requirements.
Budget, Financial Management and Control
- Ensure that a financial related information is accurate and is well maintained.
- This includes an overall planning, budget and control of expenditures for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to programme implementation.
- Prepare the cash transfer’s request for HQ whenever needed.
- Update and share regularly the financial documents, allowing an accurate/timely/safe financial management of the programme.
- Implement all relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
Management, Monitoring & Capacity Building
- Train, support, supervise and monitor the finance staff ensuring that HQ/donor procurement guidelines are followed.
- Train, support and monitor finances – cashbooks, receipts, financial reports – and provide regular feedback and mentoring.
- Supervises, audits, control and implements corrective actions related to the DRC/DDG standards for operations.
- Lead in training plan and training needs assessments as part of improving compliance with DRC /DDG standards. This includes on-the-job training, instructions and relevant follow up measures, as well as the design and conduct of more topic-bound training sessions.
- Lead in systems development and roll out of systems already developed in close cooperation and coordination with DRC’s Regional office and headquarters. This includes tools for monitoring shared expenditures, donor co-funding and decentralised book keeping.
Local Tax management
- Keep abreast of the local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC is in compliance with same
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on time to the relevant departments
- Coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the taxes are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or Business Administration. Experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- At least 5 years’ experience working with NGOs, other international agencies or multinational business • Good budget development skills for multiple donors
- Strong information technology skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups and nationalities
- Good management skills
- Excellent people and team management skills, able to hold to account, build and motivate people and teams effectively
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Identify priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required
- Experience of leading the implementation of operational improvements and the persistence to achieve change in a challenging environment
- Ability to operate and think strategically, coupled with proven analytical skills and the use of these to problem solve and make firm decisions
- Aptitude and openness to change, with an ability to lead change management
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Contract length: 1 year
- Level: A13
- Designation of Duty Station: The position is based in Maiduguri, Nigeria, with travel expected within the country (around 30%). This is an unaccompanied position within a non-family duty station.
15th December, 2016