Venture Lab focuses on investment opportunities in Latin America, Africa and India but remains globally opportunistic, leveraging Accion’s global footprint and 50-year experience investing in and building financial services business in emerging markets.
Job Title: Investment Associate - West Africa
- We are currently recruiting an Investment Associate, who will be based in West Africa (Lagos or Accra).
- S/he will report to the Senior Investment Officer of Africa for Venture Lab and will support all aspects of Venture Lab, including deal sourcing, analysis/diligence, transaction closing/process management, and post-investment support to investee companies.
- The role will be highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting/management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion.
- Provide support on the identification and assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreening analysis, conducting background research and financial modeling, and collecting/analyzing diligence documents.
- Lead prospecting and strategy formulation for our global investments (with the potential to “own” on a region of interest), including market research, sourcing, building referral network, defining engagement model, and liaising with in-country-based Accion staff
- Provide portfolio management support to investee enterprises, including (as applicable) creation of a business plan, financial modeling, strategy, lead generation/prioritization, introductions/connections, fundraising, and leveraging Accion resources and expertise to benefit the investee.
- Assist with the management of deal roster/deal log on Salesforce, coordination of documentation and data rooms (as necessary), process improvements to enhance internal effectiveness and productivity, and liaising with internal and external partners on matters such as financial reporting, budgeting, legal compliance, and HR.
- Create, track and analyze internal metrics related to investment performance and social impact.
- Research and development of thought pieces around key themes or sectors, sharing learnings within Accion and via blogs / social media.
- Minimum 6 years relevant experience across technology, management consulting, venture capital, private equity, investment banking, and/or marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred.
- Passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Strong strategy, research and analysis skills and intrinsic business acumen.
- Advanced computer/web skills including Word/Excel/Powerpoint, Salesforce, and social media.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high performing team environment, and ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn the respect of Accion colleagues, investors and enterprises.
- Existing network within impact investing, VC or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate data and insights in a structured fashion.