Job Title: Senior GIS Technical Lead
- The Senior GIS Technical Lead supports the GIS Department Manager with planning, organizing and supervision of the day to day activities of the technical operations team within the GIS Department.
- S/he supports the maintenance and management of all databases, equipment, software and servers.
- S/he provides day to day technical support/supervision to the team.
- Provides daily supervision and coordination support to the GIS team.
- Provides day to day technical assistance and support to the GIS team.
- Supervises the development of processes to automate tasks for efficient management of the GIS database and system.
- Supervises the documentation of technical processes and requirements.
- Performs advanced geospatial processing and analysis.
- Provides direct GIS applications and software technical support.
- Supports the GIS Manager in the training and development of the eHealth Africa GIS team.
- Supports business development activities within the department (e.g. proposal writing).
- Supervises the management of all databases, equipment, software and servers.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of GIS programming and systems.
- Provides technical best practices and guidelines for use, management, integration and compliance.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management.
- Ensures compliance with laws and regulations.
- May frequently travel between company work-sites. Some international travel may be required.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well. under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Responds well to supervisor requests and feedback.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in annual strategic planning meetings, country management meetings, staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
- Master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography, Computer Science or other GIS related field.
- 5+ years of GIS development and minimum of 2 years management experience
- Significant and advanced GIS experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
- Strong technical management skills, including scoping and scheduling technical tasks, experience with budgeting and proposal writing.
- Strong leadership skills that include the ability to build effective teams, ability to motivate others, delegation, and timely/quality decision making.
- Training and presentation experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess good problem solving skills.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational and management skills.
- Pays great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
- In-depth knowledge of GIS, databases, GIS principles, practices and techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology with the ability to perform detailed and independent technical reviews of work products.
- Creativity and the ability to successfully manage multiple assignments independently.
- Ability to work under pressure, and manage significant travel to insecure environments.
- Proven ability to work with diverse and large teams and to foster a positive working environment with local and international stakeholders
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate via writing, public speaking and interpersonal interactions.
- Good learning ability.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
Certificates and Licence
- GISP Certification through GIS Certification Institute is preferred.
- A Project Management (PMI) certification or PRINCE2 is preferred.
- Proficiency in working with Open Source GIS (QGIS, PostGIS and Geoserver), data transformation tools (FME Desktop, Kettle and python) and Commercial GIS (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox), ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server.
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- English is the spoken and written language.
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from executive and senior managers, employees, the general public and clients/partners.