As a result of the wide-scale needs in 2016, Mercy Corps is scaling-up its humanitarian response to address emergency priorities including food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, water sanitation, while preparing to address early recovery needs for displaced households and vulnerable host communities. The largest portion of this response is focused on cash transfer programming.
Job Title: Team Leader
- The Team Leader will be responsible for coordinating and implementing the delivery of humanitarian response programming that includes livelihoods, cash, food, non-food items , wash and shelter interventions for families affected by conflict from both host and displaced communities.
- The position includes field leadership of humanitarian program, management of daily program activities and staffs, ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to track, analyze and report on results as well as engagement with senior management on the strategic direction of the overall emergency and recovery program.
- The post holder will represent Mercy Corps on state level humanitarian coordination platforms.
- Oversee program start-up and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities, authorities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria
- Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting, distribution processes and capacity building of partners as needed
- Initiate needs assessments, surveys and other data gathering tools to ensure that Mercy Corps has continued access to updated information and is able to address emerging needs in timely manner
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to achieve the desired impact
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources and timely, accurate and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Fulfill Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Lead the program team in implementation of the humanitarian program.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members strive to achieve excellence
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Representation & Fundraising
- Identify, build and manage partnerships on state and local levels with different stakeholders such as state and local government, civil society, UN agencies, peer INGOs, businesses and program participants.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Host and ensure logistic support for donor or other stakeholders field visits
Strategy and Vision
- Recognize and bring forward opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment, inclusion and participation
- In coordination with management set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to humanitarian programming and operations.
- With the support of the Operations Manager ensure adequate operational systems are in place to provide for programs
- Manage humanitarian program budget(s)
- MA or equivalent in relevant field
- 7 – 10 years of field experience in international relief and/or development programs, including demonstrable success in managing humanitarian programs in transitional environments
- Previous working experience in Africa required
- At least 5 years of management, capacity building and field management experience.
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with host country governments, private sector, INGO, NGO partners and other stakeholders in complex environments
- Proven skills in finance and grants management; prior experience with emergency response grant management for both private and institutional donors desired
- Knowledge of SPHERE and other humanitarian programming standards
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
- Fluency in Hausa is a plus
Location: Maiduguri, Abuja