Job Title: Residence Manager
- The British High Commission (BHC) is looking for a suitably qualified individual to manage the British High Commissioner’s Residence in Abuja ensuring that it maintains and develops its reputation as an excellent representational resource.
- The post holder would be responsible for the day to day running of the Residence, management of the Residence staff and working closely with the High Commissioner, his PA and other BHC Teams to coordinate all events held at the Residence.
- Lead, support manage and oversee the Residence team and casual staff during events
- Continue to support their personal development including motivating and empowering the team, setting direction and promoting best practice (lead by example).
- Coordination of the team and management of working schedules , working patterns and the use of TOIL/overtime rules (work-life balance) to ensure that events are managed and delivered effectively
- Ensure successful day-to-day operation of the HC’s official Residence to a high standard
- Liaison with estates/facilities to ensure proper maintenance of the Residence and its premises
- Continuously review operations to identify better ways of working (review operational processes) to secure best value for money and resource savings including working with other sections at the BHC.
- Liaison with HC/HC’s EA to manage the Residence diary; also working with the HC’s spouse regarding events, external visitors and maintenance schedules.
- Planning, organisation and supervision of all Residence functions and events. Preparing guest lists, issuing invitations and prepare menus.
- Deliver all Residence events within stipulated time, cost and to everyone’s satisfaction. Lead smooth running and coordination of the Residence as an effective and efficient representational facility where quality is the ultimate objective.
- Liaison with external clients to develop tailor-made packages for all sorts of events. Estimate/forecast the requirements for funds for events (incl. staffing). Understand customer needs and be imaginative and proactive in meeting them without being extravagant.
- Work and negotiate effectively with external clients, contractors and suppliers to ensure the BHC gets excellent value for money.
- Management of imprest, business hospitality and representational budgets and setting up purchase orders in line with FCO guidance. Ensure proper and accurate maintenance of all financial records and prepare periodic financial reports.
- Manage Residence income and expenditure ensuring full compliance with FCO financial rules and with a good eye to value for money. Ensure funds in such a way as to ensure their optimum utilisation and their procurement in a manner that the risk, cost and control considerations are properly balanced in a given situation.
- Plan, profile, track and forecast expenditure for the Residence including procurement of goods, wine/drink stocks etc. Keep oversight of all procurement, services and Residence stock in the Residence.
- Experienced manager, skilled and capable of leading a team and working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Responsive to customer needs and with a string ability to build co-operative working relationships across the network and outside of the British High Commission with a wide range of organisations. Has a high standard of personal representation.
- Experience in managing financial budgets and effective use of all available resources.
- Strong project/event management skills to contribute to major events effectively.
- Ability to complete and prioritise work to a high standard, with limited supervision, under pressure and with attention to detail.
- Capable of identifying new ways of working and innovations and ensuring that they are implemented smoothly.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service.
- Starting monthly salary N 381,775
- 08.00hrs to 16.00rs Mondays - Thursday ; 08.00 - 13.00 Friday.
- Candidates should note that there would be an occasional requirement to work evenings beyond the normal working hours.
24th March, 2017.