Job Title: Executive Director
- To provide overall leadership and strategic direction to SSDO.
- The Director has the overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction of SSDO in Nigeria to achieve the organizational vision, mission and objectives.
- The Director is responsible for the programmatic and operational management of SSDO Nigeria.
- S/he represents SSDO with Government, Local and international Organisations Nigeria.
- S/he will take a leading role in developing, overseeing implementation, reviewing and monitoring of SSDO's Programme strategy.
- The Director is responsible for developing new programming initiatives, new partnerships and maintaining existing partnerships and actively lead key phases of ongoing programs.
- The Director will be responsible to ensure cross learning and fertilisation of knowledge across the program in all areas of programming, national, regional and international policies and development issues.
- S/he is responsible to promote fundraising initiatives ensuring the smooth running of SSDO and its financial & grant management as well as its sustainability.
- S/he is also responsible for overall financial and human resources management of the Country Programme.
Strategy development and implementation:
- Provide Leadership in the development and implementation of SSDO Programme strategy
- Provide leadership for the dissemination of SSDO’s values, vision and mission and lead, direct and mentor the staff in line with the organizational strategy
- Keep abreast on socio-economic and political changes in the environment and undertake timely strategic review of SSDO's Programme Strategy ensuring continued relevance in the rapidly changing environment
- Maintain close communication with the Secretariat on relevant factors and changes in the environment
- Represent SSDO in Nigeria and be responsible for the management of relations and SSDO's interests in dealing with government, international and local organisations, networks and media
- Represent SSDO in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of SSDO
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local organisations and networks and establish national and regional strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with SSDO's objectives
- Maintain good partnerships and relations at National and International levels
- Promote SSDO's organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Nigeria and ensure SSDO remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in Nigeria.
Programme Development and Management:
- Lead in the development of SSDO Programmes providing sound methodological and technical support to ensure use of participatory methodologies, human rights and social exclusion framework
- Coordinate participatory annual planning and budgeting
- Promote a participatory approach in programming work and create space in the structure for staff participation and involvement in decision making
- Oversee and coordinate the programme portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building staff capacity and developing innovative programme interventions.
- Lead the development implementation and monitoring of research and advocacy plan on issues of relevance
- Participate in national and international campaigns in line with SSDO's vision
- Promote mainstreaming of Gender and HIV&AIDS in Area programme policies, strategy, and programme development
- Facilitate trainings, researches, and learning of cross-cutting relevance to programmes
- Ensure that participatory systems and processes for monitoring activities, results and impact assessment at programme level are in place and involves the staff and partners
- Provide continuous monitoring and support to field offices and existing projects, coordinate programme reviews, evaluations, and follow up implementation of evaluation findings
- Coordinate the production of timely quality programme reports in line with SSDO and donor requirements
Funding and Grants Management:
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in Nigeria and beyond and spearhead donor collaboration, fund raising and project development within the country.
- Keep abreast of the trends within the donor environment in the Country and Internationally
- Undertake diversified local and international fundraising initiatives to strengthen programme funding and sustainability
- Coordinate the production of good quality funding proposals and respond to call for proposals
- Facilitate donor visits, donor meetings, round table discussions and evaluations as necessary
- Ensure that effective grant management systems are in place and are consistent with the overall organisation fund seeking and management policy and promote their application
- Be aware of all donors conditionality in the Area Programme and monitor adherence to donors conditionality
- Provide oversight to all finance and administrative services
- Ensure effective implementation and compliance with the Finance & Admin Manual and compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements
- Oversee the development and implementation of annual and project budgets
- Ensure that adequate internal control mechanisms are in place
- Ensure adequate mechanisms are in place for budget monitoring and review and minimize significant expenditure variances
- Review accuracy of accounts and carry out periodic checks on financial matters
- Monitor the timely delivery of quality accounts and comment
- Oversee annual and project-specific audit processes
- Ensure the preparation, accuracy and timely submission of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of SSDO's policies and donor funding
- Check and verify all inventories and promote efficient management of organizational assets
Human Resources Management and Organizational Development:
- Provide leadership support to staff and promote best practices in human resources management
- Coordinate regular reviews and update of the human resources policies and procedures and ensure compliance with the overall human resources management manual and the Nigeria labour laws
- Oversee adequate implementation of the performance management system including performance objectives and planning, review, appraisal and staff development
- Coordinate the development of a staff development plan
- Oversee and monitor efficiency and fairness of recruitment processes across the programme
- Provide Coaching and Counselling advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity
- Organise regular meetings with staff for the purpose of exchanging information, coordination and learning
- Ensure that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in decision making
- Information, Communication and learning
- Ensure SSDO is maintaining a coordinated and agreed information exchange both internally and in its dealing with external parties
- Ensure that key programme documents (strategy programme document, projects proposals, research, reports, etc) are internally shared with the Staff and Board and agreed upon before communicating to donors and other external parties
- Ensure that all communication infrastructures are set up in the programme and smooth information flow is maintained
- Ensure that experiences and best practices are documented and shared across the organisation
Supervision & Collaboration:
- The DIRECTOR is under direct supervision of Dr ChiChi Okoye the Trustee responsible for development Programming
- S/he must ensure a good working relationship between staff and the board
- Supervision: Works independently under the supervision of the Trustee responsible for development Programming and within approved strategy and policy guidelines
- Decision Making: Has full responsibility of decisions in line with approved policy
- Responsibility over assets: Overall responsibility for SSDO's budget, all organizational resources and assets.
- Responsibility over Staff: All Country staff
- Minimum Masters Degree in Social Sciences/ Development Studies, Strategic/Programme Management, Management Studies or other related discipline
- Additional extensive training in at least one of the areas of SSDO's Thematic work:- Governance,
- Health, Livelihoods, HIV&AIDS, Education
- Minimum 8 years demonstrated working experience in program development implementation and evaluation; 4 of which should be at senior management level
- Progressive experience of programme management (at least 5 years) in the NGO sector in Africa with a proven track record as a senior manager and leader, including experience in developing and implementing strategic plans.
- A strong understanding of managing NGOs
- preferably within the social development sector with hands-on experience in implementing social justice programmes including advocacy
- Proven experience in proposal development from concept note to full proposal and experience in other innovative strategies of resource mobilisation with a proven record in raising substantial research/ development funds.
- Knowledge and Experience managing compliance to diverse donors (OSIWA, Ford, CIDA, DFID, EU, etc,);
- Proven experience as representative of a leading organisation in a country
- Demonstrable network of contacts and high standing in his/her profession with proven record of building and managing effective partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Proven experience in research and advocacy
- Strong People and financial Management skills
- An understanding of and commitment to SSDO’s mission and values
- Familiarity with and commitment to a gender approach to development and participatory methodologies;
- Knowledge of current thinking on development issues and methods; and demonstrable ability to anticipate emerging needs and integrate them swiftly into priority setting
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; and substantial experience of strategic thinking, including identifying, analysing, problem solving and responding to opportunities and challenges and the ability to translate these into practical plans of action
- Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills; and extensive knowledge and experience of project cycle management including using project planning and management key tools (e.g Logical Framework analysis, Gantt chart, etc)
- Good knowledge of financial management and accounting and budget holding principles
- Strong management and organizational skills, including comfort in delegating authority and responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal & negotiation skills, including ability to effectively lead and build a team,
- communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, solve problems and manage conflict
- Proven people management skills and strong track record of developing people.
- Demonstrated Leadership and Management skills that effectively motivate staff and support team building; demonstrated ability to manage a professional team in a multi-cultural environment; and build teams.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written (excellent report & proposal writing), including public speaking.
- Computer Literate and Proficient in Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally.
- Previous experience in management in a similar post
- Experience in knowledge of one of SSDO's core themes and in advocacy programmes
- Developed ability of raising the profile of an organization, strategically networking with government agencies, donors and other international agencies, and using the media as appropriate.
- Ability to handle a large workload, work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Experience of working in a fast changing environment
- Adaptation skills: work in a multicultural environment
- Decision-making and problem solving skills
20th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and cover letters summarizing their experience to: email@example.com
Note: Women are strongly encourage to apply for this position.