In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
Job Title: Policy and Governance Advisor
- The Policy and Governance Advisor will be responsible for ENGINE 2’s policy and governance component of the project.
- S/he will be responsible for working with government to ensure policies are implemented to allow girls thrive by becoming educated and empowered.
- S/he will provide technical leadership on policy and governance issues.
- This position will ensure ENGINE 2 implementation is responsive to marginalized Nigerian girls, their communities and the country at large.
- This position will coordinate with other donor-funded programs to facilitate policies that are favorable for girls to thrive.
Strategy & Vision:
- Support the development of the overall vision and strategic plan for the policy and governance unit.
- Recognize and adapt policies that are favourable and sustainable
- Provide technical leadership for the design, formalization, and management of innovative policy and governance initiatives
- Ensuring quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines
- Evaluating the relevance and appropriateness of current and future programming in relation to policies affecting or hindering girl child education and empowerment
- Undertaking staff capacity building
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, support hire and orientation of new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Implement performance planning and management systems, establish performance expectations with team members, and regularly provide constructive feedback on team members’ performance.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and /or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Proactively form relationships community members to complement DfID funding.
- Represent ENGINE 2 on governance issues at technical and strategic planning meetings, or as requested by the Director of Gender Programs.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team's security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Master's Degree or its equivalent in International Relations, Development Studies, Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive work experience including at least 2 years in a Senior Management or Technical Advisory role on large, education, gender- focused, skills building program.
- Strong understanding of DfID compliance issues.
- Strong management skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues in high security environment. Experience managing a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrated experience working with country-level ministries and government officials, Ministry of Education experience preferred.
- The successful candidate will combine exceptional leadership, management and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to engage adolescent girls in informal education and skills building linked with private sector entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in a culturally and religiously conservative environment.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours .Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
22nd March, 2017
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV's and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages and must be submitted on or before the closing date.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.