The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Job Position: Regional Accountant
Job Location: Abuja
- The Regional Accountant is responsible for assisting the Regional Accounting Manager with safeguarding the assets (financial and physical) of MSH and ultimately of the donor against fraud, loss, or misuse.
- The Regional Accountant is responsible for ensuring that all transactions are entered accurately and timely into Quickbooks / Deltek Costpoint in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, MSH accounting policies and procedures, and donor requirements.
- The Accountant is aware of and adheres to, MSH’s ethical conduct and procurement integrity standards in all activities.
- The role is delegated to support these actions across a multi-country setup.
MSH Business Systems Support (50%):
- Maintain the QBO regional management unit helpdesk platform ensuring timely quality response to QBO users in field offices.
- Provide timely troubleshooting support to QBO users in field offices.
- Manage Data Security. Ensure QBO closed periods are locked in line with MSH finance procedures.
- Ensure timely set up of HQ accounting approved MSH QBO Chart of accounts (COA) in QBO system.
- With guidance from the manager, Support field office accounting teams in creating and setting up unique sub-accounts in QBO for advance accounts, prepayment accounts, withholding tax accounts etc.
- Maintain an up to-date centralized CP COA and QBO COA mapping list.
- With guidance from the manager, create tailored QBO/Cost point custom reports for accounting reporting and analysis to support FO analysis i.e. trend reports, aged reports, analysis by project and COA
- Perform monthly control reviews for supported countries and support country’s corrective action plans/actions.
Capacity Building (10%):
- Support training programs as assigned by the line manager this is not limited to design of materials/tools and presentations
- Support country teams with systems update/ migration
- Provide in country support where necessarily via country support visits
Financial Analysis and KPIs (20%):
- Perform regular spot checks of Field Offices’ QBO transactions identifying and addressing with the FO accountants all errors, mis-postings, missing documentation, and other exceptions.
- Perform monthly reconciliation between QBO and CP Trial balances ensuring exceptions are flagged timely to the FO accountants.
- The Field office Accountants will empower FO accountants to run and reconcile their own accounts in QBO and CP
Treasury Management (10%):
- Maintain regular and robust filing for the Regional Management Unit (RMU).
- Perform bank reconciliations for RMU-controlled countries (Countries RMU provides Accounts Payable and direct accounting support).
- Maintain the FO Fund Request Smart Sheet Tracker i.e. maintaining correct account detail information, sending notifications to FOs, consolidating the fund requests, performing analysis of cash balances versus cash requested etc.
- Ensure that treasury practices in supported country’s minimize MSH’s cash exposure though reviews of KPIs
- Send bi-monthly notification to FOs for submission of monthly fund request
- Provide support towards tracking country bank information via Smartsheet for audit readiness and FBAR reporting requirements
Inventory Management (10%):
- Perform regular analysis of QBO/Cost point asset information and Inventory items reported in the registers and identify exceptions for FO management action.
- Support Inventory system admin as guided by the line manager.
- Conduct spot checks and control checks through the period
- Provide Training to FO on the inventory smart sheet
- Follow-up prior period exceptions with countries
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance / Accounting and progress towards a professional accounting qualification.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience as an accountant in a similar work organization.
- Prior work experience with U. S. Government and non-USG, foundations, or other donors.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in the use of accounting software (QuickBooks and Deltek Costpoint preferred).
- Experience in deploying new accounting software and other accounting process changes
- Good account reconciliation skills, including bank accounts, advance accounts and payroll-related liability accounts.
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyse balance sheet and expense account transactions and post required adjusting/allocation journal entries.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel), word processing.
- Understanding of the tenets of cash control and asset management, and must be able to complete timely and accurate account reconciliations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Working knowledge of French is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, religion, creed, citizenship, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
- MSH will take affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed and that employees are treated without regard to their race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran and disability status.