Lafarge Africa Plc is a member of the LafargeHolcim Group – the biggest building and concrete solutions company in the world. It is a publicly quoted company on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and serves Nigeria with a wide range of building and construction solutions designed to meet housing and construction needs from small projects like individual home buildings to major construction and infrastructure projects.
Job Position: Book to Record Manager
Job Location: Lagos
- The role holder is responsible for managing all accounting and financial reporting matters for the country.
- He/She is responsible for ensuring timely and accurate reporting of financial results and other group and statutory reporting requirements.
- He/She will collaborate with the rest of FSSC team to ensure proper reconciliations are done for all ledgers and that proper books are kept.
- In this role, He/She will foster a strong connection with the Group Accounting, Reporting & Consolidation Team (ARC) team to ensure full and timely local compliance with Holcim’s Accounting & Reporting Policy (HARP).
- He/She will also coordinate external audits with the company’s auditors and manage audit requests efficiently and in a timely manner.
Internal and External Financial Reporting:
- Prepare accurate and timely financial statements, including the balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statement, in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Prepare all board relate reports as it relates to Statutory Financial Statements
- Lead the monthly, quarterly, and annual hard close process by tracking all month-end close activities with cross-functional stakeholders
- Provide insights into balance sheet movements and cash-flows and ensure account reconciliations, intercompany charges, fixed assets and bank reconciliations are properly managed and sign-off at country level.
- Address complex accounting topics in collaboration with the functional controller and ensure full compliance to HARP in accounting for all business transactions.
Audit and Internal Controls:
- Coordinate and manage the external audit process in collaboration with auditors, ensuring smooth and efficient audit engagements.
- Coordinate the preparation of audit schedules, documentation, and supporting materials to facilitate the audit process.
- Act as Internal Control Over Financial Reporting (ICFR) champion for the country and ensure ICFR documentation is in place and properly kept for record purposes.
Fixed Assets Accounting:
- Oversee the fixed asset accounting process, including asset acquisitions, disposals, depreciation calculations, and impairment assessments.
- Ensure accurate and complete recording of fixed asset transactions in accordance with company policies and accounting standards.
- Perform periodic reconciliations and physical asset verifications to maintain the integrity of fixed asset records.
- Track the compilation of project costs/Capital expenditures into fixed asset accounts, and capitalize those projects once they have been completed.
General Ledger Supervision:
- Oversee the maintenance of the general ledger, including chart of accounts.
- Ensure accurate and complete recording of financial transactions in the general ledger.
- Review and approve journal entries, account reconciliations, and intercompany transactions.
- Lead the monthly balance sheet reconciliation process, ensuring all reported numbers are substantiated with schedules and back-up documentations and these are centrally stored on drives.
- Oversee the bank reconciliation process, ensuring timely and accurate reconciliation of bank accounts.
- Investigate and resolve discrepancies between bank statements and general ledger records.
- Monitor and reconcile other related accounts, such as credit card transactions and cash clearing accounts.
- Perform continuous assessment of the close process and lead process improvement or implement feedback to reduce the time required to close the financial period.
- Continuously evaluate existing accounting and financial reporting processes, identifying opportunities for improvement in efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness.
- Lead or participate in projects to streamline workflows, automate processes, and enhance the quality of financial reporting.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as IT and finance, to implement system enhancements and optimize data integrity.
- Drive the standardization and process improvement with areas of responsibility within financial reporting and accounting.
Team Management and Development:
- Lead and supervise a team of accounting professionals, providing guidance, coaching, and performance feedback.
- Foster a collaborative and supportive work environment, encouraging professional growth and development of team members.
- Conduct performance evaluations, set goals, and identify training needs to enhance the skills and knowledge of the team.
- Head of Financial Shared Services Centre, Chief Financial Officer, Head of FPP&A, General Counsel & Company Secretary and Group Accounting, Consolidation & Reporting (ARC) Team.
- Internal & External Auditors.
- Financial Reporting Analyst
- General Ledger Team
- Fixed Asset Accounting Team
- Bank Reconciliation Accountant.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Timeliness of Financial Reporting: Measures the ability to prepare and submit financial statements and reports within established deadlines.
- Accuracy of Financial Reporting: Evaluates the accuracy and reliability of financial statements and reports, ensuring adherence to accounting standards and internal controls.
- General Ledger Integrity: Measures the maintenance of a reliable and accurate general ledger, reflected in minimal variances and proper segregation of duties.
- Reconciliation Accuracy and Timeliness: Evaluates the accuracy and timeliness of bank reconciliations and fixed asset accounting, demonstrating control over financial transactions and assets.
- Audit Performance and Findings: Assesses the effectiveness in managing external audits,including timely completion, satisfactory ratings, and minimal audit adjustments.
- Level of education / qualifications normally required: Degree in Accounting. Finance, Economics, or any other relevant degree. ICAN or ACCA qualification is a pre-requisite for this role.
- Specific Work experience: 7 to 10 years experience with at least 4 years in similar role, with people management responsibilities. Experience in multi-national companies with group reporting structure is an added advantage.
Technical / Functional Skills:
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, regulations, and standards (IFRS).
- Experience with ERP systems and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure, in a demanding environment, while maintaining the highest professional standards.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with stakeholders at various levels.
Leadership and Managerial Abilities:
- Ability to self-organize, drive consistency and high standards in team’s way of working, and take ownership of team output.
- Leadership skills with the ability to motivate and develop a team.
- Mobility Requirements: Working conditions are normal for an office environment with occasional stretches to meet strict timelines.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online