ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
Job Position: Communications Coordinator
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Communications Coordinator who reports to the Director, Organisational Effectiveness will lead the Communications Hub and be responsible for the development and implementation of ActionAid Nigeria’s (AAN’s) Communication Strategy; including planning and managing public affairs/relation and publicity in order to influence and inform AAN’s stakeholders, staff, partners and donors.
- S/he will liaise with and provide support for the different thematic functions at AAN on publications, publicity & press relations to drive the advocacy and campaigns of AAN.
- Coordinate and act as the central communications point for national media activities
- Develop and implement innovative and effective communication and media strategies for
- ActionAid Nigeria, including fundraising and marketing projects.
- Manage documentation and publishing of all AAN manuals, and publications including audiovisuals, and maintain an updated repository for posterity.
- Build the capacity of AAN staff and partners in understanding, documentation and communicating the progress made in various AAN’s thematic areas.
- Support the development and strengthening of partnerships among stakeholders, government departments and NGOs for effective collaboration and coordination on strategic national & global concerns.
- Coordinate the annual review of AAN communications work, including the development of annual reports in print and video formats.
- Oversee content development for AAN policy influencing, website and other social media platforms.
- Build and maintain contact with the media, donors and supporters including popular media, influencers, and political circles to raise AAN’s profile.
- Oversee production of digital and multimedia communications content in line with
- ActionAid global brand guidelines and donor marking plan.
- Track, monitor and report AAN communications metrics and use insights for learning.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the line manager
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Entire AAN Staff
- External: The Media, Relevant Government Agencies, Donor Community, Influencers, Partners, INGO Community and other stakeholders
- First Degree in Communications, Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities is essential
- Masters Degree in relevant field is desirable
- Membership of Nigeria Institute of Public Relations (NIPR), and Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) is desirable
- Membership of NUJ and other relevant professional bodies is desirable
- At least 7 years work experience, 4 of which should have been spent in similar role in the development sector is essential
- Experience managing communication and advocacy projects as well as working with the media is essential
- Website development/management and digital communications is essential
- Capacity building experience including training, facilitating, coaching, and mentoring is essential
- Experience as a media focal person for an organisation/department is desirable
- Experience as a reporter, sub editor or proof-reader is desirable
- Familiarity with popular media sector and previous relationship with same is desirable
Skill / Abilities:
- Online i.e. website management and digital communications
- Understanding of the role of advocacy work and communication in development
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to provide practical solutions within set deadlines
- Multi-tasking skills
- Public speaking skills
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Possess working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Social Blade, Google Analytics and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of Human Rights Based Approach to programming and storytelling.
- A person of integrity
- Creative and takes initiative.
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- A self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission, values and objectives.
3rd August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the Application Form below and send in an MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the Job Title and Location eg: “Communications Coordinator – Abuja” as the subject of the email.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) in line with our
- Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching
- SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.