Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, that promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
- Job Position: Community Engagement Officer
- Job Location: Michika, Adamawa.
- Contract type: National contract
- The primary function for this position is to develop mutual relationship with community members and the local leadership structures, and define and solve problems through collaboration with community residents.
- The goal is to prevent and/or reduce crime, fear and antisocial behaviour in the community. Community engagement and safety approach recognizes that crime prevention and control must involve a partnership between the security providers and the community. People appointed to serve in this role must have prior experience in Nigeria Police Service.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points):
- Mobilize project participants and key stakeholders at the state, local government and community level and introduce them to the concept of community engagement and safety.
- Determine the training and capacity building needs of community leaders and other key project stakeholders on community engagement and safety.
- Interact and collaborate with members of the community to create and maintain comfortable and safe living conditions in the communities.
- Play a preventive role by making their presence felt in the community through creating a sense of security to community members, deter crimes, support crime victims, and offer information when necessary.
- Carry out enquiries in communities to establish any safety and security needs.
- Jointly with community focal persons, establish community support structures that can be used for reporting crime and any other activities that could threaten peace and harmony in the community.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights and reports.
- Assist AVR Manager and AVR Supervisor in carrying out monitoring and evaluation of program activities.
- Develop weekly and monthly plans and budgets for AVR Supervisor or Manager’s approval
- Advice AVR Manager and Supervisor on tools and equipment required for the implementation of community engagement and safety.
- Ensure quality control during implementation of community engagement and safety activities in accordance to DRC global standards.
N.B: The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution of higher learning in Nigeria. Specialised training in Criminal Justice, Law, Mediation and dispute resolution is an added advantage.
- At least 7-10 years of service in Nigeria National Police Service.
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria.
- Proven record of working with local communities in maintaining law and order.
- Experience working in diverse and cross-cultural and insecure context.
- Previous experiences in community engagement and safety program is an added advantage
- Experience working with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Master qualification in conflict prevention, international relations, law, peace studies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook
- Availability: 01.06.2021
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
11th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining suitability for the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Please note: The position title must be written in the subject line of the email otherwise not considered.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals only.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.