Tetra Tech International Development is delivering LINKS, a Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (Formerly DFID) funded program. LINKS was created to catalyze economic growth in northern Nigeria through initiatives that would boost the development of a vibrant and diversified economy in the region over the next seven years. The front-line components of LINKS are innovation, investment promotion, financial flow facilitation, and business environment reforms.
- Job Position: Consultants for the Kano State Turnaround Project
- Job Location: Kano
The decline of industries and Businesses in Kano, Kaduna and Jigawa over the past two decades has been accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic leading to disruption and economic uncertainty that have come at a significant cost to the Nigerian Government. In a bid to reverse this trend, LINKS in collaboration with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) and the Kano State Investment Promotion Agency (KanInvest) have designed, and are implementing, the Kano State Turnaround Project – an intervention that would facilitate the influx of turnaround specialists to rescue, reorganize, restructure, and repair shortlisted companies.
For this reason, LINKS seeks to facilitate the engagement of experts in business restructuring and turnaround advisory to help underperforming and distressed companies in Kano State. The turnaround firms or consortia must have significant operational experience, strong industry knowledge, and other skills relevant to turnaround management. They will be required to objectively assess each company with the goal of identifying problems and proffering/implementing solutions. These solutions will be outlined in comprehensive turnaround plans that will be implemented in partnership with the management of the business until specific recovery milestones are met.
Specific Requirements of Each Group of Specialists
Specific requirements of each group of specialists are outlined below:
Turnaround Advisor (Independent Consultant)
- The Turnaround Advisor (an individual) will be responsible for monitoring the activities of turnaround experts engaged to work with clients in Kano State in relation to a range of matters, as determined by their strategy, directly impacting the implementation of the Kano State Turnaround Project.
- The Advisor will be required to assess all technical proposals for reasonability, effectiveness and sustainability. The Advisor will also be responsible for ensuring that the targets set and agreed upon for all companies are met.
Skills & Experience:
- Strong academic record with a Master’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering or any relevant equivalent
- Prior experience implementing or participating in turnaround projects involving evaluations and negotiations; experience in implementing cost reduction initiatives is required
- Prior experience in corporate finance; investment banking experience is an advantage
- Prior experience in corporate advisory services
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong team orientation and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with multi-location teams
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and high attention to detail
- Demonstrated personal integrity and leadership qualities
- Good interpersonal and stakeholder management skills
- Special Requirements – The position is virtual with frequent travel to Kano.
Legal Advisory Firm / Consortia
- The Legal Advisor will be responsible for the provision of all legal services required during the turnaround project. The Advisor will work with the Project Steering Committee, beneficiary companies and Turnaround Consulting Firms to implement the rescue, reorganize, restructure, and repair plan.
- A key deliverable will be the development, and implementation, of a legal strategy unique to each company.
- This strategy will be subject to the approval of the beneficiary and the Kano Turnaround team (made up of LINKS, a Project Steering Committee and other key stakeholders).
- It is anticipated that each Legal Firm will be responsible for 5 to 10 companies each. The firm will provide technical assistance and support towards the planning and implementation of the turnaround project.
Turnaround Specialist Firms / Consortia
- LINKS seeks to facilitate the engagement of a reputable expert turnaround advisor, turnaround firms or consortia, and legal advisors to help underperforming and distressed companies in Kano State.
- The turnaround firms, or consortia must have significant operational experience, strong industry knowledge and other expert skills relevant to turnaround management.
- They will be required to objectively assess each company with the goal of identifying problems and proffering/implementing solutions.
- These solutions will be outlined in a comprehensive turnaround plan that will be implemented in partnership with the management of the business until specific recovery milestones are met. It is anticipated that each firm/consortia will be responsible for between 5 to 10 companies each.
Note: The consulting firms or consortia will be required to outline and implement a strategy that reverses the decline of selected businesses in Kano.
The indicative timetable for this activity which may be subject to change is:
Activity / Date
- Deadline for requests for additional information – 12 March 2021
- Deadline for submission of EOIs – 17 March 2021
- Notification to applicants of the outcome of assessment – 19 March 2021
Submission should be received on or before each date below:
- Turnaround Advisors – 17th March 2021.
- Legal Advisory Firms – 19th March, 2021.
- Turnaround Specialist Firms – 19th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of Interest by email to: [email protected] stating “Kano State Turnaround Project EOI” as the subject of the email.
Prospective applicants who require clarification on any part of this call for EOIs may wish to direct requests to: [email protected]
Applications will not be accepted if they:
- Are not sent electronically
- Are hard copy submissions
- Are not sent or delivered on or before the specified deadline
- Do not conform to the provisions of this call for EOIs
Applicants are directed to the important notices below:
EOIs must be prepared in English language and are to be submitted electronically by interested applicants. Partnerships are allowed if it is a combination of a local (Nigerian) Law firm and others, however, such EOIs must be submitted in one email.
- You are required to present your EOI with:
- the company profile including:
- CVs of team members showing expertise in business turnaround transactions
- Selected firms shall be evaluated based on the following technical criteria:
- General qualifications and adequacy for the proposed assignment
- Experience in working in Northern Nigeria and knowledge of the region
- Similar experience in the required area of expertise of the assignment
- All EOIs must be submitted by 5 pm (WAT) on the due dates.
- Only successful applicants will be contacted for further evaluation.
- Shortlisted applicants will be sent some company profiles to select for review due to the uniqueness of the services required for each beneficiary company and submit within two weeks a technical and financial proposal for turning around the companies.
- The expected duration of the assignment is one to two years
- Nothing in this call for EOIs shall be construed to be a commitment on the part of LINKS / FCDO to appoint a Legal and Consulting Services Provider on the Kano Turnaround project; nor shall it entitle any applicant to make any claim whatsoever and seek indemnity from LINKS by virtue of responding to this call for EOI.