Veegil Media is a non-partisan technology and media organization that seeks to transform societies with technology. We promote civic engagement and good leadership for the welfare of the people.
Job Position: Data Scientist
Job Location: Lagos
- The position includes support of dynamic, fast-paced projects that span all phases of the data analytics, data-driven development, and software development lifecycle, including design, development, testing, DevOps, and (customer) support.
- As part of a small team, the data scientist will participate in agile-based research of new product growth areas and the implementation of products to meet the needs of our customers.
- You would share your creativity, expertise, and innovation, and have a hand in the decisions that affect the direction and performance of the entire company.
- You will be faced with a series of problem-solving situations on a daily basis that requires team coordination, risk/crisis management, and out-of-the-box thinking. In our efforts to become a more seamlessly web-integrated company, we are looking for top-notch data scientists to join our team.
Elements we are looking for in a qualified candidate:
- Creative thinker who thinks outside the box and proposes innovative ways to look at problems by using data mining (the process of discovering new patterns from large datasets) approaches on the set of information available and is excited to reimagine and automate/improve existing workflows and solutions.
- Excited to learn new technologies and apply them to our challenging environment
- Thrives within the freedom to design and own the solutions they build
- Has strong knowledge of current and trending data science and predictive analytics technologies and their fundamentals, in addition to web and server-side technologies
- Embraces change and is an independent motivator towards improvement
- Committed to upholding and realizing the organization’s mission, vision, growth, and goals
- Modeling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining, and visualization techniques.
- Work closely with clients, data stewards, project/program managers, software developers, and other IT professionals and the administrative team to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound organizational decisions
- Work with a team of developers to design, test, and implement new software features that improve business efficiency and productivity as well as compete with leading-edge technologies in the industry.
- Explore opportunities for further technological growth and integration and discover new ways to rethink and rework our digital infrastructure and data management efforts.
- Design experiments and conduct research to produce valuable data
- Validate findings using an experimental and iterative approach
- Collect, clean, and analyze data to provide business intelligence.
- Present the findings to the business and other stakeholders by exposing their assumptions and validation work in a way that can be easily understood by their business counterparts.
- Develop data-driven frameworks for creating “smart” software based on predictive analytics
- Improve user experience, engagement, and value derivation in website and apps
- Develop new user interface designs to improve customer web interaction and increasingly automated and intelligent functionality of website/apps.
- Improve frontend and backend data integration, allowing for simpler, more complete data entry and streamlined business operation.
- Research, test diligently, objectively debug, integrate and maintain (cyber) infrastructure to ensure proper performance, improved functionality, and user-friendly interaction.
- Understand backend software development and implement digital frameworks that can adapt to evolving business needs and improve upon current data application methods.
- Write, develop and maintain software through the software development lifecycle and DevOps to ensure production readiness and application fidelity
- Envision new ways to integrate our business into mobile and other platforms, such as iOS and Android, to keep up with the rising popularity of smartphones and non-traditional web technology.
- Product and project management
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields.
- A combination of business focus, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and programming knowledge to be able to quickly cycle hypothesis through the discovery phase of projects
- Proficiency in developing data science applications using data analytics, predictive analytics, machine learning, deep learning, and artificial intelligence
- In addition to advanced analytic skills, the individual in this role should be proficient at integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, architecting specialized databases and computing environments, and communicating results
- Advanced skills in Python, R, Pandas, scikit-learn, Keras, Tensor flow, PyTorch, computer vision, and other data science analysis and visualization tools
- Experience with software such as Apache Spark, Knowage, Knime, etc
- Experience with frontend frameworks such as Flutter, React, Angular JS, Vue JS
- Development and maintenance of Application Programmable Interfaces (APIs)
- Ability to troubleshoot code, including code from outside sources.
- Experience with enterprise applications, Microservices, Service-Oriented Architectures, REST desired.
- 1-5 years of experience in data science, web and software development
- Expert knowledge of desktop and mobile operating systems, such as Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, and iOS
- Proficiency in web, cloud, and on-premise server deployment and maintenance
- Excellent written, communications, and presentation skills to report findings in a clear, structured manner are required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.