FINCA is a leading international Microfinance Institution offering financial services and products to small scale businesses that have been turned down by traditional banks, so that these businesses can start, grow, and diversify with resulting increases in family income, nutrition, employment and well-being.
FINCA pioneered the “Village Banking method of credit delivery, now used by hundreds of organizations worldwide. Our programs reach low-income people in more diverse countries than any other microfinance provider.
- FINCA Nigeria seeks to employ an experienced individual with a good knowledge of database designs as Database Administrator. The role reports to the IS Manager or as may be designated.
- The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for providing the planning, coordination, utilization and administration of Oracle relational databases, MS-SQL relational databases, Sybase databases, Management Information System (MIS) databases and other file, organization and access methods.
KPI/Duties and Responsibilities
- Recommends database management systems, hardware platforms and data distributions to be used in system implementations, including those operating on a 24 hour basis.
- Assigns and controls names used for the various portions of data base to include, transaction codes, elements, tables, records, schema and sub-schema.
- Ensures adequate security safeguards are in place to control access to all databases.
- Ensures the integrity of database files through the daily monitoring of database backups, logs, journals and transaction statistics.
- Oversees the proper distribution and controlled replication of data across Disaster Recovery (DR) sites and databases.
- Plans and executes performance tests of physical data base designs.
- Allocates disk space for new data tables and monitors space utilization for existing data tables.
- Makes adjustments to table sizes and locations to ensure efficient use of resources and to optimize performance.
- Manages schema and sub-schema libraries, and responds to requests for data views.
- Implements database backup and recovery plans, and performs database recoveries and coordination with other areas of the IT department.
- Monitors and reviews operating statistics for conformance to performance standards and overall system performance goals.
- Maintains documentation about test and production database environments to help resolve potential production problems.
- Prepares periodic reports on the status of all database systems to including performance data, economics data and database usage.
- Supporting Core banking database systems.
- Training and mentoring junior DBAs who report directly to the incumbent.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Proven success as a team player having extensive experience in a team-oriented environment.
- Proven abilities of technical writing and documentation.
- Proven ability of translating business requirements into technical solutions.
- Proven ability to provide solutions to complex technical problems in a creative and analytic manner.
- Experienced based skills in training and mentoring.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills of English. The ability to present information and ideas clearly and concisely.
- Excellent capacity to present and to explain the information, influence and persuade others, as well as promote understanding and consensus.
- Proven ability to balance, prioritize, and organize multiple tasks.
- High level of energy, creativity, flexibility, enthusiasm and commitment self-confidence and initiative.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and awareness of deadlines.
- Hard working self-starter with initiative.
- Good knowledge and communication relationships with business staff and colleagues.
- Applications Support Manager.
- Systems Administrator.
- Regional Database Administrator.
- Regional Reporting Specialist
Job Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Science or its equivalent
- Oracle / MS SQL / Sybase DBA certification is preferred.
- Demonstrated abilities with source control systems and team collaborative software/database development and knowledge management.
- Demonstrated abilities with server and data storage hardware concepts with ability to conduct basic hardware and software sizing.
- 3 + years’ experience with database support and development tasks in both a transactional and DSS environments.
- Knowledge of programming in SQL, PL/SQL.
- Knowledge of Windows and Unix/Linux operating systems.