The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Job Title: Database Administrator
- The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for providing database management, operations and services to the organization, globally, to support all of our platforms.
Consolidation and Analysis of Existing Databases (40%):
- Create list of all databases associated with platforms
- Identify owners for each database (vendor, MSH office, centre etc.)
- Analyse database specifications, backup files, indexes etc. and determine how performance can be improved
- Determine where these databases should be hosted
- Determine access/account structures and permissions.
Guidelines, Standards, and Processes (25%):
- Define and document database guidelines, standards, processes
- Document backup and recovery, mirroring and replication guidelines
- Document account/permission structures for each database
- Respond to technical queries as needed.
Technical Support (25%):
- Write SQL Queries, Stored Procedures to support product development as needed
- Provide technical support as needed.
- Participate in IS and MSH meetings to provide regular status updates and keep up to date with organization and other group activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- In depth knowledge and understanding of RDBMS architecture and data warehousing concepts
- Experience with physical and logical database design, development, implementation and administration of large SQL environments
- Extensive experience with MS SQL Server (tables, triggers, unions, joins, complex queries and stored procedures) and MySQL
- Excellent understanding of database installation, configuration, partitioning, performance tuning, analysis and optimization of databases
- Hands-on experience with planning, monitoring, configuring, maintaining and replication of databases
- High experience of testing backup and recovery of databases
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve a variety of identified problems (integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, security issues effectively
- Advance experience in database monitoring and clustering
- Fluency with appropriate tools including SQL Management Studio, Query Analyzer, Profiler, Performance Monitor and other database management tools to enhance monitoring, tracing, performance tuning and clustering
- Experience in maintaining database performance and security, including managing database accounts and permissions.
- Expert in writing SQL queries, scripts and stored procedures of high quality
- Experience working with developers and business analysts to analyse and resolve database design, implementation and performance issues
- Experience establishing database recovery protocol
- Works closely with supporting network, server and disk storage teams to facilitate managed balanced systems utilizing mirroring and availability groups as necessary
- Proactively develop and implement policies and procedures to improve overall effectiveness and integrity of the company’s databases and platforms.
- Ability to follow and enforce change management processes within production environments.
- Strong written and oral skills to communicate plans, status, issues, risks and mitigations to team and management staff
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, working across multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong team player and ability to foster collaboration with multidisciplinary teams while contributing to a positive work environment
- Capable of quickly understanding and adapting to new business situations
- Ability to scope work and accurately and estimate time, resources and budget needed for its completion
- Dedicated to take independent, appropriate action to resolve complex problems with limited supervision
- Ability to manage our platforms vendors in addressing all database tasks
- Experience/Competency in performing Windows Administration tasks a plus
- 10% travel may be required
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online