The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of Parliament in 1960. This Act depicts that the NRCS is recognized by the Federal Government of Nigeria as a community-based Voluntary Aid Society, auxiliary to and complementing the public authorities in the area of humanitarian interventions.
- Job Position: Director, Finance & Resource Management
- Job Location: Abuja
- Duty Station: NRCS Headquarters, Abuja, Nigeria
- Line Manager: Secretary-General
- The Director of Finance and Resource Management shall be responsible for providing overall guidance, leadership, and direction in the execution of financial activities of the NRCS. This role also entails anticipating and controlling financial risks through the creation of a strong internal control environment.
- He/she oversees planning, directing, organizing, and controlling the operations of the department to ensure NRCS achieves its mandate in accordance with accepted accounting principles and NRCS policies and procedures. He/she will provide Management and the Board with timely, complete, and accurate financial information for necessary decision making.
The Director of Finance and Resource Management will have the following responsibilities:
Budgeting and Planning
- Leads the Budgeting process and guides the management on compliance and rationalization
- Contribute to NRCS Strategic Development Planning
- Provide technical support to budget holders/head of departments and units in the development of their budgets
- Support in funding plan, strategies, and putting supportive systems in place to ensure accountability
- Oversee cash flow management process making sure that funds are available for operational use
- Coordinate cash forecasts with HODs and Branch teams
- Consolidate the NRCS budgets and give overview to the senior management team
- Lead the budget revision sessions and advise on their realism, consistency, and compliance with applicable standards
- Coordinate proactive monitoring and reporting of budget positions to all departments and programs
- Review monthly budget monitoring reports and take corrective action
- Coordinate the development and implementation of finance and accounting policies, processes, and procedures in line with leading practices
- Identify risks and financial implications of various projects/ initiatives and advise the Secretary-General and management team accordingly
- Oversee the establishment of efficient controls to mitigate identified financial risks
- Review and authorize key expenditures/ transactions of the departments in line with the NRCS approved budget and manual of financial authority
- Proactively manage and monitor NRCS cash flows, ensure optimal cash management and implement best practice in treasury management procedures
- Review cash request analysis and ensure that the NRCS has enough cash to run its activities
- Provide regular cash forecasts for the attention of the Secretary-General
- Implement mechanisms to safeguard NRCS liquid and fixed assets in line with NRCS financial policies
- Review the finance sections of funding proposals for donors
- Compile accurate, regular, and timely financial and narrative reports for NRCS and for donors
- Coordinate the donor financial reporting process ensuring that the reports are prepared and sent to the donors before due dates
Financial Analysis & Reporting and Tax
- Provide timely, accurate, and relevant financial information/reports to aid management decision making
- Manage NRCS statutory reporting obligations on an accurate and timely basis including production of annual reports and accounts
- Ensure all recommendations from the external auditor’s management letters are adequately addressed
- Oversee tax planning to optimize NRCS tax position (majorly PAYE) and ensure compliance accordingly
Accounting and Book-keeping
- Oversee payment process to ensure that all transactions are within accepted standards and in accordance with laid down processes
- Set up a functioning accounting system that ensures transactions are captured accurately and in a timely manner
- Set up month-end calendar and ensure it is strictly adhered to
- Review and validate all balance reconciliations
- Carry out frequent data backups for the Finance Department
- Oversee filing system to enable easy retrieval of information
- Capacity Building for Finance and Program staff
- Support and train key finance staff and other staff on financial management as required
- Provide advice on improving the financial reporting component as well as the use and benefit of international accounting standards
- Ensure that lessons learned and good practice from finance management are used to improve future financial management
- Develop finance structure and ensure the department has adequate expertise in achieving efficiency and effectiveness in supporting NRCS using a customer-oriented approach
- Participate in the recruitment of new staff within the department
- Induct and train new finance staff in collaboration with HR
- Facilitate effective delegation, support, and follow up to build capacities of finance staff
- Maintain a motivated and effective team
- Periodic establishment of objectives and carrying out regular performance reviews
- Support finance staff in the development of learning objectives and championing necessary training opportunities with the aim of increasing department staff expertise
- Manage direct line reports and assigned resources such as financial, equipment, etc.
- Monitor Key Performance Areas to ensure adequate financial management of operation projects at all levels
- Prepare Adhoc analysis reports to the management team (e.g. financial implications and budgets for the existing plans, allocation of shared costs, etc.)
Duties Applicable to all Staffs
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Line Manager
- Reduction in procurement cost
- Shared strategy implementation
- Quality of proposals and concepts notes developed
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance Management, or Business administration
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting or Finance management
- Certified chartered accounts/Certified Public accountant ( e.g. ICAN, ACCA, ANAN)
- Proven experience in staff supervision.
- Experience with large ERP systems, as well as knowledge of accounting software preferred.
- Strong financial analysis and excel skills.
- Strong accounting knowledge, analytical/problem-solving skills, creativity, and initiative.
- Minimum of 15 years relevant working international experience, with at least 5 years in a management level position
- Previous experience in managing international donor grants
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to follow and safeguard the Finance Procedures and policies
- Good leadership and accountability levels
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyze problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to persuade others to adopt a specific course of action to achieve desired results
- Proficiency in the use of MS office tools and data analysis software
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Understanding of NRCS programs and support functions
- Capable of communicating analysis and insights effectively, and articulate when communicating
- Demonstrated success in relationship building internally and externally with a wide array of stakeholders
- Ability to build and protect the reputation of self and society through the quality of work, knowledge, and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally-minded, and show respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
To apply, send your CV and Cover letter (as one single document) to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you should be considered for the position you applied for.
6th April 2021
How to Apply
Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- State the Position applied for/Name of Applicant as the subject of the email
- Persons who applied for the same positions previously need not re-apply
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.
- Attached herewith is the Job Description for this Position.