Multi Aid and Charity Initiative (MACI) is a registered non-governmental and nonprofit organization majorly concerned with improving the health and well-being condition of women and children, advocacy, and Peacebuilding through policies and programs designed, aimed at salvaging the devastating situation caused by the over a decade Boko Haram insurgency. MACI’s humanitarian interest includes; Gender-based Violence, Girl Child Education, Women and Youth, Empowerment, Sexual and Reproductive Health Education, Community Health Education, and Mobilization. MACI has reached over 10,000 vulnerable women and children with life support and life-changing services in northeast Nigeria.
Job Position: Education Officer
- The purpose of this role is to support the daily implementation of funded Education projects, with Multi Aid and charity Initiative MACI in partnership with donor organizations
Dimensions of the Role
- The post holder will directly implement the project and also document lessons learned support assessments, and monitor and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Multi Aid and Charity Initiative MACI.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, and capacity building. The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of MACI.
In collaboration with the Project Manager:
- Support in documenting lessons learned and best practices of the pilot project
- Support the Project Manager, Institutional Capacity Strengthening Manager, and Access to Education Lead in designing the Project Implementation Plans.
- Ensure the execution of the Project Implementation Plan and work closely with the National implementing partners on the project
- Will work closely with the National partners in the execution of the Formal, and non-formal education component of the project with support from the M&E team to design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Will be responsible for the formation, strengthening and training of the Community structures, etc.
- Will play a key role in the mobilization and engagement of the community and stakeholders in the implementation and monitoring of the project
- Will be responsible for school supervision, and data collection
- Will support in organizing and facilitating teacher training and assessments with emphasis on girl child and advocacy.
- Support assessment of the Education sector in the state of implementation
- Review, assess, and update the education situation in areas affected by the emergency
- Highlight education issues requiring a response–both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium-term and make recommendations on specific MACI actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education-specific 5Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early gender, protection, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure MACI, Education cluster standards, and INEE Minimum Standards are considered in implementation and documented.
- Provide regular updates to Education in Emergencies Specialist, on progress, priorities, and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Support the implementation of, and represent MACI in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education. Experience in the implementation of integrated programs across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance, or disaster risk reduction is a must.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience Education in Emergencies.
Experience and Skills
- At least 3 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 1 year in a management level position.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal) and Local language skills (Hausa, Kanuri).
- Prior work experience in community mobilization and advocacy in Northeast Nigeria.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards.
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, and coordinate multiple tasks
- Pay attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Ability to read and write in both English and other languages appropriately in Northeast Nigeria
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet their agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks support in addressing difficulties in the execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organizational development.
- Sound judgment and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
- Multi Aid and Charity Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities
- Multi Aid and Charity Initiative is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
Required Competencies and Values:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Integrity & transparency
- Managing and sharing knowledge
- Delivering results
2nd June 2022
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter, as a single word document to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: MACI welcomes applications from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, colour, nationality, age, disability status, sex, gender identity or expression, marital status, and family structure.