The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments, and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
- Job Position: Energy Specialist
- Job #: req11578
- Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Organization: World Bank
- Sector: Energy
- Grade: GF
- Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
- Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
- Required Language(s): English
- Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity.
- With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges.
The responsibilities of the selected candidate will include:
- Lead technical engineering work (policy dialogue, lending and supervision, AAA) for Projects of the Nigeria Energy Sector Portfolio especially on transmission, distribution and off grid renewable energy applications;
- Work as core team member on procurement of transmission SCADA, smart meters, mini grid development, solar home systems, solar rooftop development teams on technical aspects and project management;
- Create partnerships with Nigerian stakeholders as well as donors on design and implementation of energy sector interventions;
- Supporting teams on strategic energy issues and implementation of the sub-region’s access agenda including implementation of Nigeria Electrification Program, increasing the participation of the private sector in energy;
- Actively participate in overseeing World Bank-supported energy country program in Nigeria with the aim to enhance quality and pro-poor focus and accelerate implementation;
- Work with IFC and MIGA for a WBG collaboration on potential PPP opportunities in Nigeria;
- Develop and maintain close relationships with local public and private stakeholders, support policy dialogue and keep abreast of developments in the energy sector.
- Minimum education level is Master’s Degree as follows: a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with at least two years of experience on technical / engineering aspects of transmission or distribution sector (including off grid applications) of power sector is essential and a Master’s level Degree in Engineering, Energy Planning, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or equivalent area;
- At least 5 years of total relevant experience in the energy sector with demonstrated ability to engage credibly on a range of issues in the energy sector in different regions;
- Prior experience of having worked in Nigeria power sector based in Nigeria for at least two years is essential requirement;
- Operational experience in recent technological advancements and business models;
- Operational experience in the following areas is highly desirable: energy policy and tariff regulation analysis and advisory, utility regulation, power market development and regional integration, off-grid electrification, gas-to-power Value Chain, project development and execution, utility commercialization and project finance;
- Hands-on project management experience, an ability to efficiently manage many activities simultaneously, a flair for problem-solving and an ability to self-navigate through complex bureaucratic environments;
- Problem-solving and solution-driven approach backed by a passion for cross-sectoral development challenges;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong partnerships with clients, passion for development, ability to work with different stakeholders and colleagues across units and departmental boundaries in a multi-cultural environment with virtual teams located in different countries;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English;
- Ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue with clients;
Required Professional Competencies:
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy-making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
- Integrative Skills – Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of the current sector.
- Energy Sector Technologies – Direct experience with depth in at least one area: power generation, transmission and distribution, renewables, energy efficiency, etc.
- Energy Policy, Strategy, and Institutions – Familiarity with energy policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
- Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses client’s stated and unstated needs.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries give their own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
- Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward
WBG Core Competencies:
- Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions with others.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions for the client.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Initiates collaboration across boundaries and broadly across the WBG and brings differing ideas to the forefront.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Creates, applies and shares knowledge from across and outside WBG to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
- Make Smart Decisions – Recommends and takes decisive action.
Application Closing Date
26th April 2021 at 11:59 pm UTC
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online