Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organization. The organization is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political convictions.
- Job Position: Environmental Health Manager
- Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Planning, coordinating, implementing, and monitoring all Environmental Health (EH) activities in the project, according to MSF protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
- In collaboration with EHTL and the PMR, planning, elaborating, and reviewing the annual budget for the EH activities in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the mission and the targeted population;
- Monitoring on a day-to-day basis the implementation of the EH activities in the project ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols, and procedures, and reporting to the PMR and EHTL on the development of the ongoing programs including the following:
- Designing, implementing, and managing all EH interventions in the project (including, but not limited to: water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, hygiene, and infection control);
- Conducting routine EH assessments in collaboration with project medical teams to identify EH needs at the project level, and making recommendations for response activities to the PMR;
- Ensuring the EH contribution to the development and planning of emergency response strategies and resources, in collaboration with the medical and logistical teams.
- Ensuring availability, proper purchasing, and appropriate technical specifications of required materials and equipment through planning, organizing, and overseeing the inventory of the EH stock;
- In collaboration with the EHTL, PMR, and the HR Manager, participating in the planning and implementation of HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development, and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all EH activities;
- Providing technical support to the medical team in identifying possible “risk factors” (e.g. behavioral practices, environmental sources of infection, and transmission routes) and offers solutions for infection control. Actively contributing to the integration of EH activities in the medical intervention offering project proposals and work plans;
- Ensuring proper collection and monitoring of EH data. Ensuring multidisciplinary data availability. Providing analysis of data and regular reporting of results (as requested by the PMR and EHTL).
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Ensuring a permanent and adequate water supply in FORI PHC and MSF-OCB compounds;
- Providing technical guidance to EH technician in order to ensure proper maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities in FORI PHC and MSF OCB compounds;
- Providing technical guidance to EH technician/EH agents in order to ensure proper waste management, precisely collection, transportation, treatment, and disposal in FORI PHC and MSF OCB compounds as per MSF protocols;
- Providing support to the technician and IPC supervisor for infection control in general and dead bodies management in particular in FORI PHC;
- Providing training to EH team and medical team on EH protocols, precisely waste Management, dead bodies management, sewerage, dressing, and undressing when needed;
- Provide leadership for planning and implementation in case of cholera, Lassa Fever, and covid 19 peak season EH-related activities;
- Provide technical guidance to put in place the vector control measures in the Project;
- Oversee day-to-day activities of EH technicians, EH agents, and orderlies and ensure the roster for all the EH stuff is updated regularly on time;
- Providing technical guidance and working in close collaboration with the Logistics team related to a big construction in the project;
- Pursuing latrines rehabilitation and maintenance in Fori PHC and MSF-OCB Guesthouses;
- Participating regularly in the WASH cluster meeting and ensuring the update of information related to environmental health in Borno State, notably in Maiduguri;
- Working in close collaboration with the Mission Advocacy Manager, the EHTL, and the PMR, to devise an appropriate advocacy strategy for the implementation of EH essential requirements in informal IDP camps where MSF is present.
- Prepare a weekly plan and submit to PMR and EHTL;
- Generate and submit monthly EH sitrep;
- Provide inputs in the quarterly reports.
- Academic background (at least BSc / B.Eng. or HND) in Civil Engineering, Hydraulics, Geology, Sanitation, Health Engineering or Public Health. Watsan in Emergencies Training within or outside MSF is strongly recommended
- Previous experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works;
- Minimum of 2-years of hands-on field emergency WHS professional experience in a humanitarian or international development setting;
- Mandatory: Previous experience in cholera outbreak and wastewater management are mandatory;
- Desirable: experience in or familiar with implementing and promoting the use of two or more of the following activities (water supply, excreta disposal, waste and wastewater management, vector control, and dead bodies management) in two or more different contexts (disease outbreak, conflicts, natural disasters, refugee/IDP camps, etc.)
- Speaking the local language will be an asset.
- Computer literacy;
- Knowledge of drawing with civil engineering software or GIS are assets.
28th January 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant certificates to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
Send hard copy to: MSF Belgium Human Resources Office – FORI CV BOX
Note: MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.