Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, fueled by caring, curiosity and cutting-edge research that moves people from vulnerability to security. Whether it’s welfare or weather disasters, the environment or economics, agriculture or HIV and AIDS, we address the world’s most pressing issues. Our work is diverse and so is our bold workforce. We never fail to ask “What if?” We identify patterns, we search for the best way.
Job Position: Field Entomologist
Job Location: Abuja
- Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, was awarded the PMI VectorLink Project in 2017 by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI).
- Working across 24 countries in sub-Saharan Africa as well as Cambodia and Latin America, the PMI VectorLink Project is equipping countries to plan and implement integrated vector control, including implementing safe and cost-effective indoor residual spraying programs, conducting entomological monitoring activities, and providing support for the deployment of insecticide-treated nets.
- The PMI VectorLink Project works closely with Ministries of Health, National Malaria Control Programs, regional and district health offices, and their partners to ensure that government, the private sector, and communities are able to sustain and lead future IRS and malaria vector control programs.
- In Nigeria, the PMI VectorLink Project conducts routine entomological monitoring and monitors insecticide resistance across 16 states in the country. The project also works to strengthen the capacity of national and district governments to plan and implement quality entomological monitoring and use entomological data for decision making in the future.
- Vector Link Nigeria also supports programmatic monitoring activities, to assess the impact of new types of nets on entomological and epidemiological indicators.
- Under the supervision of the Entomology Coordinator, the Field Entomologist will ensure adherence to project standard operating procedures (SOPs) guiding the implementation of entomology field activities, laboratory protocols, standard techniques and methods deployed in analyzing mosquito samples to generate country basic entomology indicators.
- Assists with supervising and coordinating implementation of field activities, such as routine malaria vector surveillance, insecticide resistance monitoring, and other related vector control activities.
- Ensure field teams adhere to SOPs guiding the implementation of field and laboratory activities.
- Engage in supportive supervision by travelling to field sites during routine surveillance and insecticide resistance monitoring activities.
- Support the training of Entomological Technicians on morphological identification and insecticide susceptibility test assays.
- Support in the morphological identification of mosquito samples sent to the laboratory from field sites.
- Create an excel sheet to enter well labelled samples and support the shipment of same to laboratory for analysis.
- Keep inventory of unanalyzed mosquito samples identified, preserved in the laboratory.
- Support the management of entomological inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Operate, optimize state of the art equipment to analyze mosquito samples in the laboratory and interpret results.
- Arrange field collected data, analyze, report and present to target audiences
- Must ensure that the laboratory and insectary are well managed following good laboratory practices.
- Assists in providing technical assistance to partners and NMEP on vector control activities.
- Support technical report writing and review of national documents.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Entomological Coordinator
- Bachelor’s Degree + Five (5) years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Three (3) years of relevant experience, or PhD.
Desired Experience / Qualifications:
- Postgraduate Degree in Science, Health and/or Public Health with focus on entomology/insect ecology is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrable technical experience in vector surveillance and insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Demonstrated evidence of previous technical writing in malaria entomology, medical entomology, or vector control.
- Familiarity with vector surveillance and insecticide resistance monitoring protocols as well as field and laboratory procedures.
- Prior experience working with the National Malaria Elimination Programme is highly preferred.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
- Be computer literate in terms of text processing and data entry and analysis.
- Be a team player and able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
- Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.