Amnesty International is a global movement with the aim to end human rights abuses. Independent, international, and influential; we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied. Amnesty International Nigeria is a national entity that is part of the global and we campaign for meaningful human rights change to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
Job Position: Finance and Office Intern
Job Location: Abuja
- To assist the Finance and Office manager in the organisational (finance, administration, office maintenance and facilities and IT) functions of Amnesty International Nigeria’s Office.
- Support the financial control of Nigeria Office’s activities through the preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations and by ensuring adherence of the office to all policies
- Assist in the audit process and in the timely preparation of the annual statutory accounts, tax returns and other relevant reporting requirements
- Assist in timely preparation of accurate monthly management accounts forecast and annual budgets
- Assist in producing financial analysis and budget variance analysis for project and office management
- Support the Finance and Office Manager in ensuring the cash flow of the office is managed to ensure sufficient liquid reserves and minimal exchange rate risk
- Perform timely and efficient processing of expense claims, invoices, travel advances and cash payments, supplier payments via use of automated systems where possible.
- Ensure strict controls of the office petty cash, including making regular bank deposits.
- Maintain an effective filing system and ensure transparency to financial records.
- Assist the Finance and Office Manager in the coordination of administrative operations
- Provides ad hoc support to team members as appropriate including taxi/travel and hotel reservations.
- Assist in maintaining office procedures, security protocols, logistics and procurement, information systems and records for easy retrieval and compliance
- Create and maintain good filing system including generator log, transportation logs and operations
- Assist in planning, management and administrative meetings, seminars and workshops;
- Provide staff with sufficient logistical support & stationery material, and maintain clear administrative and communication systems including basic technical support
Office Maintenance and Facilities:
- Assist in the maintenance of office infrastructure including facility management, power management, equipment maintenance and asset management (maintaining inventory of properties/assets).
- Contribute to the office being run efficiently and effectively and supporting staff working in a safe and secure environment.
- Maintain a register of suppliers and service providers for all office needs including consumables IT (Information Technology)
- Support IT systems procurement and maintenance and liaise with IT providers and the IS IT team in London as appropriate.
- Reporting to: Finance and Office manager – Amnesty International Nigeria
- Posts that this job manages: None
- Other key relationships: Amnesty International Nigeria staff particularly the Executive Assistant and Team Administrator, West and Central Africa Regional Team and relevant IS teams (Finance, Legal/Procurement, IT and Facilities) and external consultants and service providers.
- A Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or related field or relevant professional qualifications.
- A Master’s Degree or a professional qualification is an advantage.
- Experience in the use of Quickbooks, to post entries, reconcile accounts and monthly bank reconciliation is mandatory.
- A practical work experience of 4 years will be required.
- Good interpersonal skills (communication, able to negotiate, influence, give effective feedback and be a team player), time management and planning skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multi task and work to deadlines to achieve results;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable;
- Ability to deal effectively with people in person and on the telephone, in a polite, sensitive and understanding manner;
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Possess a high level of resilience, initiative and drive, is creative and able to be flexible and change orientation as required;
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good financial acumen or numeracy skills.
- Experience dealing with suppliers, officers within government administration functions and external contracts; ideally will have maintained a relevant local network.
- Experience of monitoring budgets and an ability to identify budget problems and communicate to the relevant staff
- Bookkeeping and payroll experience desirable. Ability to use QuickBooks is an advantage.
- Office IT support or training experience desirable.
To be discussed
29th September, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online