Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a non-profit rights-based organization committed to ending sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) in North-eastern Nigeria and assisting victims of SGBV in accessing services, maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life.GRA provides evidence-based grassroots interventions towards promoting social accountability, community-based prevention, and response to ending SGBV and violence against girls and women (VAWG).
GRA is an implementing partner of UN Women on a 2-year project funded under the Women’s Peace and Humanitarian Fund (WPHF) and EU-UN Spotlight Initiative on Ending Violence against Women and Girls (Spotlight Initiative) in Adamawa, Yobe, and Borno State.
- Job Position: Finance Manager
- Reference No: GRA – RFM/MAG/23/20/003
- Job Locations: Borno (Maiduguri) & Abuja (FCT)
- The Finance Manager will control and manage the implementation of the accounting systems in GRA’s head office, collect and process GRA’s financial data in order to provide management, donors, grantors, creditors, and others with timely, accurate, and understandable information.
- The incumbent will perform routine financial management of all financial transactions, bank reconciliations, cash management, and generation of reports for management decision-making and reporting.
- The position holder will oversee all the expenses, treasury management, accounting, controls & compliance aspects of GRA projects.
- Oversee day-to-day financial management and accounting for GRA projects; maintains and manage financial accounts in coordination with the Executive Director;
- Assist in establishing, maintaining, and updating organizational financial policies and procedures to guide the work of project staff and management;
- Prepare and track project budgets and budget projections; reviews expense reports, vouchers, and payment requests, including proper back-up documentation to ensure compliance with established GRA systems and donor’s requirements;
- Work with the Executive Director and Program Manager to develop annual budgets, projections, financial plans, costing estimates, and monthly cash forecasting;
- Maintain regular communication with the senior management team at HQ by providing relevant and timely financial information for planning and decision-making purposes;
- Ensure timely payments to staff, consultants, and vendors;
- Work closely with operations to implement monthly payroll accurately and on time, keep accurate and updated records, and conducts regular reviews of staffing financial information;
- Oversee payments to vendors and contractors, consultants, and other relevant parties and ensure that proper documentation is present;
- Tracks all tax withholding information that is readily updated and available to project leadership;
- Ensure employees’ Travel Expense Reports (TERs) and Travel Advances (TAs) are submitted on time and reconciled properly;
- Maintain complete, accurate, and timely financial records; prepares and submit monthly financial reports as directed by the Executive Director in a timely manner; and supporting documents are filed appropriately in hard and soft copies;
- Maintain and oversee internal controls; prepares estimates of monthly cash requirements for HQ; coordinate with the Program Manager in the field office; manage a project bank account, reconciles monthly accounts and bank statements; submits receipts and invoices;
- Participate in regular meetings (phone, Skype, etc.) with field office Program & Operations staff to discuss financial items;
- Supervise and support the team on the preparation of budgets, fund requests and follow up the settlements of funds transferred;
- Ensure field vouchers are prepared accurately, supporting documents are in place, and all transactions are coded in accordance with the chart of accounts and project charge code(s);
- When applicable, assist with an internal or external audit activity;
- Establish processes and systems to manage, disburse and oversee small grants, as required;
- Overall relation with banks, including opening and closing accounts, negotiation of conditions;
- Train GRA staff on detailed financial guidelines and requirements in order to implement activities and execute budgets accordingly;
- Informing supervisors of any issues/problems that may arise in their job performance;
- Perform any other responsibilities as may be directed by the Supervisor.
- A Bachelor’s degree (minimum), or a Master’s degree (desirable), in Accounting, Finance, Business Management, or other relevant fields.
- At least 5 years of working experience with at least 3 years’ experience at a senior level in the Finance department of a reputable NGO.
- Experience directly managing finance staff persons;
- Knowledge of Finance & Accounting packages like QuickBooks.
- High level of computer literacy especially knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proven problem identification and resolution experience with budgeting, forecasting, banking, tax authorities, foreign currency transactions, and other related issues.
- Proven experience in managing expenditure within budget.
- Must be dynamic, persuasive, self-motivated, and able to demonstrate high initiative.
- Personal competencies – like teamwork, communication skills, analytical skills, networking, and partnership skills.
- GRA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women.
- GRA is an accountability-driven organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality, and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, diversity/gender, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for GRA jobs.
- GRA does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). GRA does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
12:00 pm (WAT), 25th January 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit and address their Applications to the “Executive Director, Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA)” via: [email protected] using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
Important Information and Notice
- All applications MUST indicate the position title and reference number as the subject line. Any applicant that did not quote the reference number correctly would be disqualified.
- All applications must include a 1-page Cover Letter and CV (4 pages maximum).
- Applications must be sent as a single PDF or MS Word attachment not later than the closing date above.
- Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.