Jhpiego, an Affiliate of Johns Hopkins University is a global leader in improving healthcare services for women and their families.
- Job Position: Finance Manager
- Job Location: Abuja
- Position Reports: Director of Finance and Operations
- Slot: 3 Openings
- Country Office: Nigeria Country Office
- The Finance Manager (FM) reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and will be responsible for providing the financial management for Jhpiego projects as assigned and managed.
- The FM will oversee all local financial and contractual aspects of Jhpiego projects in Nigeria and work closely with project staff to ensure accurate financial and contractual reporting of the project.
- The FM will ensure that the financial reports are compatible with standard accounting practices and follow Jhpiego and USAID rules and regulations.
- The FM will be responsible for ensuring cost consciousness, efficient spending and for implementing and maintaining an on-site financial accounting and book-keeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance of project financial operations.
- Financial planning, budgeting, and reporting for Jhpiego active projects in Nigeria.
- Provide guidance to the program teams regarding the financial requirements of the projects and office operations.
- Maintains and administers project financial accounting system.
- Implements and oversees a detailed financial reporting and reimbursement process in accordance with Jhpiego’s established financial system.
- Prepares the monthly financial report by using adapted finance software (QuickBooks) and ensures accuracy and timely submission to HQ.
- Uses various software applications such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphic packages to assemble, analyze, and format data and/or reports
- Ensures financial management systems provides accurate, current, and complete disclosure of financial transactions
- Closely monitors cash flow and assures budgets are followed so spending is on track
- Implements and guide staff on policies and procedures and lead training, as needed
- Reviews disbursements and payroll for authenticity and accuracy
- Oversees the financial reporting process to donors
- Prepare accurate budgets, track expenses, ensure that required financial controls and cost-performance monitoring mechanisms are in place and adhered to: prevents over or under-expenditure of budgets, ensures proper safeguards of funds, and ensures compliance with established USG and Jhpiego’s global financial, accounting, and administrative procedures.
- Leads the development, monitoring, and review of project budgets
- Reviews monthly financial analysis and budget vs expense reports to determine the reasonableness of variances and take appropriate actions, as required
- Ensures reasonableness of financial projections
- Makes in-country budget adjustments and other cost improvement measures, as required.
- Cash and Bank Management
- Ensure sufficient funds are available at all times to meet project needs
- Reviews monthly bank reconciliations to ensure balance sheet reconciles to organizational financial records
- Serves as Jhpiego’s liaison with banking officials
- Ensure financial records are properly maintained and readily available during audits
- Ensure that in-country legal and statutory requirements (i.e. registration, VAT/Tax reporting, filing tax returns, business licenses, etc.) fully comply
- Support the Finance and Operations Director to facilitate the work of external audits
- Support the Finance and Operations Director to draft responses to audit findings and follow-up on the implementation of audit recommendations
- Reviews reconcile and monitor all project accounts, including major program operating accounts and petty cash operations involving cash advances.
- Determines updated monthly project accruals and projections to support forecasting accuracy and program completion, as required.
- Ensures sound accounting records
- Regularly reviews accounting transactions to ensure costs are allowable and reasonable
- Regularly reviews QBE: a review of the balance sheet, aging analysis, detailed GL, expenditure by ION, advanced balance
- Review monthly QBE replenishment request
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure proper project and financial reporting, spending and compliance with project terms and conditions.
- Ensure that USAID and other donors’ resources are appropriately directed to program priorities and are in line with program work plans.
- Serve as a resource person for non-finance staff on USAID, JHU, and Jhpiego rules and policy.
- Provides financial oversight to finance officers in Abuja and in the field offices.
- Ensures compliance by all assigned staff to the JHU and Jhpiego timekeeping requirements, as well as, the staff’s timely approval of timesheets.
- Performs other projects related activities as assigned by the supervisor or by Jhpiego management
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or its recognized equivalent
- MBA in Accounting or professional qualification (CPA, ACCA or recognized equivalent) is required.
- Minimum of 7-8 years relevant experience in finance or accounting.
- Knowledge of institutional donors (United Nations, USAID / CDC, DFID, etc.) regulations, procedures, and requirements a plus.
9th February 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their updated CV to: [email protected] using “Finance Manager” as the subject of the email.
- CV and Cover Letter as ONE SINGLE WORD document
- The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
- Candidates that do not comply with the application instruction will be disqualified.
- Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
- We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Nigeria.
- JHU is an Equal Opportunity Employer