International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
Job Position: Finance Officer
Job Location: Damboa, Borno
- The Finance Officer provides day-to-day financial support on one or more programs/grants, including the processing of transactions, adhere to donor regulations and IMC policies and procedures, reporting, and assisting in financial analysis including Sub ward management and reporting.
- Finance Officer reports directly to Finance Manager.
Accounting and Finance Management:
- Assist the Finance Managers with day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions in field offices are performed in accordance with internal policy and procedures.
- The Finance Officer will be responsible for the Sub ward management include ensuring that all financial reports and supporting documentations submitted to IMC by sub-award recipients are accurate and received in timely manner and in line with sub-award agreement terms and conditions, Ensure IMC Payroll review, and assisting in financial analysis. of IMC company books.
- Review and account for procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments.
- Suggests formats for financial reporting to aid financial statement users to better understand the contents of the reports for decision-making and strategic planning purposes.
- Ensures the maintenance of accurate records of financial transactions of the country office (main and field offices) in order to monitor financial status of all project activities.
- Assists with the management of the country finance department to meet the financial reporting requirements of in-country management and Headquarters; This function includes ensuring that all financial reports are submitted on or before the deadlines set and contain relevant information for all the users of the financial reports.
- Manages the monthly financial closing including accounts payables and accounts receivables of the mission under supervision of the Finance Manager.
- Assist in the preparation of all financial reports for external purposes in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements.
- Maintains the system of accounts ensuring all accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported.
- Oversee training of finance staff and provide technical support to country program and logistics.
- Ensure compliance with internal and donor regulations and procedures, establishing finance and supporting function policies, systems, and procedures, and directing or performing their development, documentation, and implementation.
Training/ Capacity Building:
- Train fellow staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs
- Advocate and plan for professional development of staff
- Maintain frequent communication with Finance Manager to ensure finance activities and objectives are communicated
- Work with program and logistics staff to ensure the coordination of programs are within budgeted targets
- Attend coordination meetings which are relevant to finance activities
- Interface with national government and relevant statutory agencies to ensure compliance with varying government regulations when necessary
- Serve as a liaison with donors on matters related to the program to ensure financial and programmatic accountability to donors
- Participate in donor meetings and communicate relevant information to Finance Director and Country Director when called upon to do so
- Assist in activities to ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
- Participate in the production of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors.
- A University Degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Professional certifications such as a qualified/almost qualified member of ICAN or other qualification recognized by IFAC is an added advantage
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in administration and financial management in the humanitarian sector, including extensive experience in the financial management aspect of international donor agencies.
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, preferably Costpoint
- Experience in working within a large departmental team.
- Ability to carry-out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the organization.
- Knowledge of varied donor financial regulations.
- Experience in enforcing the compliance of internal control procedures and policies relating to different departments and activities.
- Proven leadership qualities required.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Can function effectively in a loosely structured work environment and to set appropriate priorities and deal effectively with numerous simultaneous requirements
- Ability to work under pressure and manage work load effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities.
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural team.
- Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas.
- Some record of experience with donor (especially: USAID, OFDA, ECHO, DFID, BPRM, UN-Agencies) specific procedures.
- Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
Ethical Conduct for IMC Staff:
- The International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts.
- No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported /by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved.
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or is about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award.
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreements.
- These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agents.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
29th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Position as the subject of the mail.
- Due to the urgent need of the position applications received will be reviewed on a rolling basis.