The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS was officially registered on 19 March 2000 at the Vatican State as a foundation. JRS programmes are found in 51 countries, providing assistance to: refugees in camps and cities, individuals displaced within their own countries, asylum seekers in cities, and to those held in detention centres. The main areas of work are in the field of education, emergency assistance, healthcare, livelihood activities and social services. At the end of 2016, more than 733,400 individuals were direct beneficiaries of JRS projects.
Supervisor: National Human Resource Coordinator
Country of Assignment: Nigeria
Regional Directorate: West Africa
Place of Assignment: Abuja
- The Human Resource Assistant is responsible for handling the daily administrative and human resource duties of an organization, possessing t skills in conflict management and decision-making with a solid understanding of employee relationships, staffing management, and payroll and benefits administration.
- Provides advice as it pertains to Inspire recruitment selections and ensure adherence to policies and procedures in filling vacant posts.
- Provides advice on guidelines on the promotion and placement of staff.
- Represent JRS in discussions with senior government officials on recruitment and other human resources matters
- Develop programs to enhance employee relations and offer employee support to each staff member
- Ensure that the new hire orientation process properly introduces new employees to the corporate culture
- Deliver compensation and benefit comparison reports to the executive team each month and make recommendations to improve the organization’s well-being
- Come up with new ways to measure employee morale and determine methods for improving overall employee satisfaction
- Act as liaison between the legal and professional resources to ensure that all employment policies follow current laws and regulations
- Participates in task forces (INGO Forum) and working groups identifying issues/problems, formulating policies and guidelines, and establishing new procedures that will benefit the organization.
- Serves as JRS Administrative focal point for the implementation of policies related to human resources management, particularly as it relates to HQs and the field, as well as assists supervisors and staff with understanding human resources policy.
- Provides policy advice to staff and managers on substantive and procedural questions related to administration and management of staff, including the implementation of any human resources reform initiative.
- Reviews and provides advice to Program Managers on requests for exceptions to policies, regulations and rules before transmittal to the Office of coordination.
- Prepares and updates comprehensive Policy Instructions incorporating existing human resources policies, practices and procedures for ease of reference for JRS staff.
- Serves as a focal point for the compilation and submission of comments to draft Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Administrative Instructions disseminated by the Office of coordination.
- Serves on various standing boards, committees, ad hoc working groups and task forces, as required. Also represents the operational interests of JRS at the policy level for any field-based emergency operations meetings/discussions
- Responsible for the review of Prohibited Conduct and disciplinary cases forwarded by coordination and if required, arrange investigation panels and communicate conclusions to the relevant parties.
- Keeps abreast of developments and trends in various areas of human resources.
- Prepares reports and participates and/or leads special human resources projects.
- Advises the Head of the Unit or Management on the development, modification and implementation of JRS and practices on entitlements.
- Reviews and recommends the level of remuneration for all staff.
- Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules. Reviews and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulations and rules.
- Represents the office in joint bodies and working groups relating to salaries and other conditions of service.
- May assist supervisors and staff with understanding and using the performance appraisal system (PAS) and the rebuttal process.
- Advises and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
- Monitors, advises and acts on disciplinary matters in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Supervises and monitors the work of the junior human resources officers in undertaking the full range of human resource management activities.
- Represents the management in classification appeal cases.
- Provides guidance to program managers on the application of classification policies and procedures and by undertaking whole office review.
Have a Bachelors degree in Human Resources or related (essential).
- Have at least a maximum of 3 years of progressively verifiable experience as an HR Assistant (essential).
- Exposure to Labor Law and employment equity regulations.
- Experience in payroll practices and organizational policies.
- Experience in carrying out extensive HR functions and practices.
- Adhere to JRS values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Effective HR administration and people management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
- Works well under pressure and meets the tight deadline.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and related business and communication tools.
- Mastery of English (fluency in spoken and written languages).
- Excellent writing, editing and document formatting capabilities.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: email@example.com using the position as subject of email.