The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
- Job Position: Migration Health Nurse
- SVN No. : SVN2021.23
- Job Location: Lagos
- Organizational Unit: Migration Health
- IOM Classification: G4
- Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST), 6 months with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date: As Soon as Possible
- Working under the Overall supervision of the Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Nurse, the incumbent will work within the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) and together with other clinical staff perform tasks related to immigration medical examination. The incumbent will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Assist National Migration Health Physician in various duties related to Migration Health Assessments. This includes but not limited to:
- Logistic preparation of medical screenings,
- Procedures for quality control and quality assurance,
- Handling of medical files,
- Collection of biodata and medical history,
- Taking anthropometric measurements,
- Identity check of the applicants and ensuring confidentiality of medical information throughout the screening process.
- Assist to conduct pre-departure treatment and prophylaxis as required, as well as pre-embarkation assessments for “fitness for travel” and complete relevant records and reports as needed.
- Interview female applicants with possible pregnancy. Perform rapid tests for pregnancy and register the results.
- Prepare for sputum collection: prepare the list for the laboratory, assign codes, and label sputum containers.
- Maintain safety procedures at the sputum collection site.
- Perform sputum collection in accordance with technical guidelines and procedures below:
- Check applicant’s identity.
- Explain the procedure to applicants.
- Observe sputum collection and assist applicants in coughing techniques and production of sputum.
- Ensure sputum and other biological samples are transported to the designated laboratory in a proper manner.
- Keep register of applicants being investigated for TB.
- Liaise with the laboratory, receive results of sputum smears in a timely manner, register the results and inform the National Migration Health Physician on the arrival of the results.
- Accompany applicants to the radiology and make ensure the identity of the applicants undergoing chest x-ray.
- Assist with registration, data entry and printing out of certificates and other documents.
- Collect statistical information in a requested format and submit to the supervisor.
- To administer vaccinations in accordance with CDC Guidelines with respect to clients age, site of vaccination and needle size.
- Record and report all vaccines adverse events.
- Vaccine ordering and storage (Maintaining cold chain)
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Nursing from an accredited institution with two years of continuous working experience or
- Diploma in Clinical Nursing from an accredited academic institution with four year of continuous working experience
- Applicant must be registered by the Nursing Council in Nigeria and have a valid practicing license
- Working experience in clinical nursing preferably in a medical facility or International NGO, UN Organizations,
- Previous work experience with migration health assessments is an advantage.
- Training and experience in TB, STDs, other communicable diseases and migration health is desirable.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office (Excel, Word, Access) and experience in working with databases and online applications.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple local languages advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respect and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- The appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
6th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: [email protected] indicating the position applied on the subject line.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line “SVN2021.23 Migration Health Nurse – Lagos Nigeria”.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National only