The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
Job Position: Journalist
Job Location: Abuja
- The BBC World Service has grown its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from six to twelve and investing in modern TV and Digital production facilities.
- The BBC Hausa is an expanding team and our ambition is for our content to reach underserved audiences – such as younger and female audiences and more diverse demographics across in West Africa and beyond.
- We are looking to recruit journalists based in Abuja to join our team in Nigeria to work across our radio and digital platforms.
- This is a continuing contract.
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output
- This role will expect you to research, report, write, translate, edit or adapt stories or programme material; to find interesting contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality.
- You will perform at the microphone with or without a script, conduct interviews, chair discussions and act as a participant in other productions.
- You’ll be responsible for moving a story forward by suggesting fresh angles, amending and updating material as required and thinking through editorial problems and developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
- This position will need you to liaise closely with other team members and with contributors, reporters and stringers, along with collaborating constructively with colleagues in BBC Africa whether in London, Lagos or abroad, and to advise other parts of the BBC on target area affairs.
- You will also be responsible for studio production of live and pre-recorded programmes, respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties, coupled with filing TV reports in Hausa and English.
- The successful candidate will be a fluent Hausa speaker and writer, with a very good level of English.
- A keen interest in current affairs and digital market developments in Nigeria and other West African countries is essential.
- This position will need you to have an excellent broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire an appropriate presentation style.
- You will have the ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media and be able to write for different media platforms in Hausa and English.
- You’ll have good keyboard/computer skills and technically adept, along with practical experience and extensive knowledge of the internet and an understanding of the potential of digital and social media.
- This role will require you to have proven recent and relevant experience as a journalist.
- This role will expect you to have a wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the Hausa Service broadcasts and an in-depth understanding of the area’s history, politics, social issues and culture, coupled with an extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- You will have thorough knowledge and understanding of African news and current affairs and a good knowledge of and interest in international and British current affairs.
6th February, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Nigeria.