Payhippo provides loans to small businesses in Africa in under 3 hours. Growing 25% month on month, we have a 97% repayment rate in Nigeria. There are 40m SMEs in Nigeria alone. Our repayment rate is so high because most of these businesses are creditworthy, but traditional banks and lenders often don’t lend to them because there are no credit scores and collateral requirements are too high. That’s why we assess businesses, build their Payhippo Scores, and provide financing to them.
We’re growing so fast because our 3 co-founders have fintech and lending experience in Nigeria. Zach worked at Lidya (a venture-backed digital SME lender in Africa), Chioma worked in microfinance policy, and Uche was a full-stack engineer at consumer lending fintech Earnest.
Job Position: Junior Accountant
Job Location: Ikoyi, Lagos
We are looking for a Junior Accountant to be responsible for supporting the business by managing daily accounting and financial tasks. You will compile reports, prepare, and maintain reconciliations of financial statements and other financial documents. To be successful as a Junior Accountant, you should have the ability to interpret quantitative and qualitative data, be detail-oriented, have strong problem-solving skills and work comfortably under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines.
- Processing financial transactions through the accounting system i.e. posting of invoices, applying payments to open invoices, posting journals.
- Preparing bank and general ledger reconciliations
- Ensuring that all documents are properly filed in accordance with company policies
- Liaising with banks and consultants for delivery and retrieval of documents.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Accounting or a finance-related discipline with 2 to 3 years of work experience
- Experience working with spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Understanding of filing systems
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong communication skills