The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
Job Position: Junior Programme Officer
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P1
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) through the Intra-ACP Climate Services and Related Application (ClimSA) programme.
- The programme addresses the issue of climate information throughout the entire supply chain of climate services covering generation and provision of climate services, access to information, user interface platforms, and capacity enhancement of critical players including, but not limited to, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of Member States, and Regional Climate Centres (RCCs). It aims to enable the Member States to develop and incorporate science-based climate information and prediction into development planning and decision-making at all levels, and to better manage risks of climate variability and change, Furthermore, it enhances policy and decision-making at continental, regional, national, community, and individual levels.
- The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation, which includes the development and application of weather and climate information services; facilitation of capacity building for RECs and Member States; fostering sharing of best practices and coordinating knowledge management; procurement and supply of equipment for Member States and Regional Climate Centres; establishing and operationalization of the continental monitoring and reporting framework; facilitation of preparation of Africa State of Climate Reports and Outlooks; prudent management of financial resources; and monitoring and evaluation.
- The Junior Programme Officer will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of administrative and technical aspects of the programme. The officer will have the overall responsibility of assisting the programme in the planning and execution of all administrative tasks.
- S/he will make necessary follow-up on administrative matters involving various AU Departments and Directorates, and other offices. S/he will also provide assistance in the overall coordination and monitoring of the Intra-ACP Climate Service Programme in addition to involvement in the day-to-day activities.
- Provide direct technical support to the African Union Commission in advancing the implementation of the ClimSA/GFCS Programmes
- Maintain a comprehensive overview of the work of the ClimSA Programme Team to ensure that timely administrative and technical support is provided for effective program delivery.
- Provide direct organizational and coordinated support to the program’s related events and meetings.
- Coordinate and/or prepare relevant background documentation for ClimSA related events and meetings.
- Assist other Program officers and participants on general administrative matters, provide advice and ensure administrative support as required;
- Provide monitoring support to overall program implementation including the program budget and provide relevant information to Officers in charge of budget execution;
- Prepare correspondence, special reports, evaluation and justifications as required for general programme implementation.
- Prepare meetings and follow-up of related decisions for programme implementation
- Maintain policy, confidential and management records;
- Prepare and participate in project meetings and report and/or take notes of such meetings;
- Perform logistical activities of international meetings (ClimSA/GFCS Forums, workshops, missions, etc.) and appointments
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in environmental studies, administration, management, sustainable development, climatology or related field and preferably have two (2) years relevant work experience.
- A qualification in project management would be an added advantage.
- Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years of appropriate experience at a junior level with exposure to programme support and professional engagement in one or more of the following areas: project management, environmental management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, management involving multi-stakeholders such as RECs, Member States, RCCs, and Development Partners.
- Experience in office management and administration would be a strong added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Accountability awareness and Compliance.
- Learning Orientation.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for results.
- Continuous improvement focus.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The salary attached to the position is an annual lump sum of US$ 75,024.13 (P1 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 56,563.87 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Deadline Date
9th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.