Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
Job Position: Linux Engineering Manager – Optimisation for Latest Hardware
Job Location: Lagos
- Lead an engineering team that partners with the Linux engineers of a major silicon company, and works across the full Linux stack from kernel to GUI, to optimise Ubuntu, the world’s most widely used Linux desktop and server, for the latest silicon.
- The role is a fast-paced, problem-solving role that’s challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, articulate, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across PC and IoT technologies.
- Our teams partner with specialist engineers from major silicon companies to integrate next-generation features and performance enhancements for upcoming hardware.
- As a Partner Engineering Manager at Canonical your role is to manage relationships with our key technology partners by ensuring timely delivery on agreed project milestones. Technical leadership experience and a background in software engineering are necessary prerequisites for this role.
- You will be expected to lead, challenge, and develop strong engineers, positively influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
- Lead a team of distributed engineers to design and implement the best Ubuntu integration for the latest IoT and server-class hardware platforms and software stacks
- Engage with commercial partners to deliver a delightful, optimised, first class Ubuntu experience on their platforms
- Develop your team through coaching, mentoring, leading by example, and feedback
- Oversee commercial engagements and support timely delivery on agreed project milestones
- Ensure an ongoing commitment to strict quality and reliability standards
- Engage with other teams at Canonical to ensure alignment on product architecture and roadmaps
- Work from home with global travel up to twice a year for up to two weeks
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent university level) Degree, preferably in a Technology field
- You have worked with Linux distributions, debian packaging and high performance, server-class hardware
- You have experience working directly with customers, resolving their technical issues, interpreting their business challenges and effectively communicating how your solution will meet their needs
- You have demonstrated experience managing or leading a team of software engineers
- You have understanding of agile software development methodologies
- You collaborate effectively across multiple internal teams, building trust and delivering results
- You have effective communications skills in English, both written and oral
What Canonical offers
- Learning and Development opportunities
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online