The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
- Job Position: Livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator
- Job Identification: 1058
- Job Location: Jos, Plateau
- Job Category: Livelihood and Food Security
- Level: Grade Level 7 Step 1 (Nigerian National)
- Reports to: Project Manager
- Travel: 60% (with travel to LGA’s project)
- Project Number: NGFM2022
- Commencement: 1st May, 2021
- Duration and type of contract: 12 months
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Yola Area Office, Field Offices in Borno and Adamawa states, and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The food security program includes wider livelihoods complex responses, which recognizes that conflict and violence have affected people’s livelihoods, coping capacities while insecurity and tension has further worsened their vulnerabilities. The provision of support in form of resources and income opportunities will address the financial needs of conflict-affected families and can thereby improve the purchasing power for productive assets, food, and NFIs vital for maintaining good health and peaceful coexistence among different individuals. This combined with agriculture and food production is expected to mature further peaceful relationship among conflict communities in return this will supplement sources of income, and food diversity and therefore reduce food costs whilst protecting households from risky coping mechanisms.
- NRC is looking for a Livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator for our Jos – Plateau State Office in east-central Nigeria. The purpose of the Livelihood and Food Security Coordinator position is to lead in the implementation of the Livelihood and food security component funded by GIZ in plateau State.
- The Livelihoods and Food Security Coordinator report to the Project Manager with technical management by the Livelihoods and Food Security Specialist. (This position is open to Nigerian nationals)
- Contribute to Core Competency strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps mapping.
- Manage and implement Livelihood and food Security projects funded by GIZ (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Project Manager (Area Manager and Core Competency Specialist if no Project Manager)
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection are explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees, displaced communities in line with the advocacy strategy
- Responsible for coordination with all key stakeholders to ensure registration of project beneficiaries according to selected criteria.
- Ensure that procurement is timely and accordance with procedures and policy.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and partners on strengthening farmer and herder capacity, through integrated agricultural and livestock activities, training of beneficiaries on sustainable small-scale business, and income generating activities for youth.
- Assist the Project Manager in the planning and design of Climate Smart Agricultural (CSA), inputs support, cash for work programs, income generating activities, business grants delivery modalities & mechanisms, capacity strengthening techniques and modules, taking into consideration seasonality, preferences, market needs, value chain addition in consideration to the market system
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders (ADPs, FAO, FADAMMA, Entrepreneurship development institute) to participant in project implementation and to avoid overlaps.
- Contribute to the design of Livelihood and Food Security component and M&E system/ indicators, including electronic systems.
- Undertake needs, vulnerability, post-training and post-distribution survey/ assessments to determine project performance and progress.
- Undertaking food security assessments and analysis.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Project planning: CC Specialists, Project Manager, Head of Programme
- Area operations: Area Manager Support Coordinators (field office coordinators) Field officers.
- Staff capacity building: CC Specialists, HR Development Officer
- Implementation: CC Specialists, AM.
Scale and Scope of Position:
- Staff: Livelihood and Food Security officers
- Stakeholders: Ministry of Agriculture and Natural resources (MoANR), Plateau State Environmental Protection Agency, Plateau State Agricultural Development program,(PADP), Tertiary institution, Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Vom and other Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies. Traditional & Religious leaders, LGA Heads, Community leaders, and Civil Society Organisations, Plateau State Peace Building Agency.
- Budgets: TBD
- Information: GORS, Agresso, Intranet, Datasets, MoVs, E-voucher platforms
- Legal or compliance: NRC terms of employment, NRC Security policy, NRC Code of Conduct.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Context related Skills, Knowledge and Experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- B.Sc Agronomy, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Crop Science and other related
- Experience working as an Agricultural Extension Agent, income generating, and rural livelihoods system.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in related position.
- Work experience from the plateaucontext preferred
- Start-up of livelihoods and food security programs
- Good understanding of climate smart agriculture (CSA)
- Good understanding of Plateau State Agricultural Zones and FADAMA
- Experience with Multi sector approaches
- Work experience of implementing cash/voucher and in-kind distribution of farming inputsand small scale Start-up cash grant and Cash for work activities.
- Solid understanding of Selection, Planning and Management (SPM) of Income Generating Activities (IGAs) both farm and off farm.
- Demonstrated experience in livelihoods programming including income generating activities, (IGAs), VSLAs, Value chain addition, Farmer Field School (FFS)and livestock production and management.
- Good understanding of integrated IGA and Agricultural project development, management and monitoring.
- Experience in Cash and voucher assistance (CVA)
- Work experience in implementation throughremote accessand monitoring
- Able to speak fluent English and Hausa languages
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Highest standard of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Good communication skills
- Previous experience in conflict and peace resolution
- Preferable knowledge of the following: GIZ procedures.
Generic Professional Competencies for this Position:
- Experience from working on Livelihoods and Food security project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery and development context.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Behavioural Competencies (max 6):
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essentialfor this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work-and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework.
1:00 AM: 22nd March, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.