Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
- Job Position: Medical Activity Manager
- Job Location: MSF OCA – Makurdi, Benue
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Defining, coordinating, and monitoring the medical activities under his/her responsibility according to MSF protocols, standards, and procedures in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition of the target population.
- Coordinating, assessing, and supervising the proper functioning of the medical activities (Measles, cholera, meningitis, mobile clinics, etc.), according to MSF protocols, standards, and procedures and through the correct compilation and analysis of medical data regarding patients’ health conditions.
- Participating in the definition of annual planning and budget for the project and in the follow up of the programs/project. Supervising and ensuring that medical activities objectives under his/her responsibility are achieved, reporting to the technical referent any problem arising in the service
- Checking all administrative procedures related to patients’ follow-up (individual card filling, registers, paper exit, discharge, transfers …) are carried out correctly and according to MSF procedures.
- Ensuring efficient pharmacy management and monitoring the rational use of them. In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating future needs. Preparing the medical orders needed to implement the medical activities under his/her responsibility, and identifying and reporting to the line manager, non-medical support needs (material, infrastructure, transport, etc.)
- Coordinating and monitoring the daily working plan of the team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves …).
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development, and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to improve staff capabilities and to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Participating in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.).
- Carry out disease outbreak investigation and assessment of population displacements with more focus surveillance and response in surrounding states of nasarawa, Taraba, and plateu.
- To fill gaps of each other between the MD and MAM
- Participates in the planning, organizing, and implementation of Benue interventions.
- In Collaboration with the MTL, the Medical activity manager manages mobile clinics, Cholera treatment centers, and Meningitis treatment centers during outbreak interventions.
- The MAM ensures guidance to the mobile clinic medical teams, outbreak treatment center teams, health promoters or community health workers; MSF, and MoH to ensure correct diagnosis, prescription, and dispensing according to the MSF guidelines and protocols.
- To translate the medical objectives of the Benue project proposal into a work plan together with MTL and the PC.
- The MAM is also required to follow-up and provides guidance to the Benue surveillance team in ensuring correct weekly demographic data, passive and active surveillance of epidemic-prone diseases are collected.
- MAM to ensure referral cases are coordinated following procedures and standards for secondary health care during emergencies and follow-up of the outcome of the patients.
- MAM to ensure data collection is done in the appropriate way as required in the scenario being responded to.
- Collaborate with MTL and MoH in organizing and facilitating reactive vaccination campaigns as well as preventive vaccination campaigns when required.
- Collaborate with MTL and MOH to create a pool of workers in the neoghboring states Benue,Taraba, Nasawara, and plateu with a focus on displacement scenarios.
Reporting and Administrative:
- Ensure proper documentation of staff payment and perdiem sheets during interventions.
- MAM in collaboration with the nurse supervisor should ensure the scheduling duty rosters and shift for the medical team is done and followed weekly and monthly.
- Participate in routine Benue reports as well as intervention reports.
- Participate in trip planning and pre-departure organization
Stock and Drug Management:
- Analyze the Benue total stock report monthly.
- Collaborate with other members of the Benue team in stock counts if needed.
- Ensure proper consumption tracking of medical items and sharing this information with the MTL as may be required.
- Participate in international medical order processes.
- Attend relevant medical-logistic meetings in the project if needed.
Human Resource Management:
- To supervise, coach, and support the medical teams and facilitate training as needed in the field.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of emergency preparedness training for emergency pool staff.
- Communicate to the MTL on medical human resources requirements.
- Collaborate with the MTL in transferring information necessary for updating emergency pool staff profile after Eprep training or post-intervention.
- To contribute if necessary to the updating of the job descriptions of the medical team.
Networking & representation:
- Support the MTL in maintaining good relations with the local authorities and actively try and understand the context we work in and the patients we serve.
- To participate in building a network with relevant partners and authorities in the visited state in order to be informed on time about onsets of outbreaks or other emergencies in the state.
- To assist in identifying other actors on the ground, their probable field of intervention, and assess their response capacity.
- To represent MSF and safeguard the identity, principles, and policy of MSF.
- Monitor the news and rumors and investigate where possible.
- Suggest for the assessment in case if alerts investigated through desk assessment reveals so.
- Participate in exploratory missions, operational research activities, and outbreak investigations and report findings using the outbreak toolkit.
- To assess the capacity of response from the MoH in case of medical emergencies.
- Identify events of recent violent clashes (If possible determining the origin/reason of the conflict) and possible needs/area of intervention.
- To be responsible for the medical aspect of the emergency team members when appointed as the Eprep medic on a trip.
- Essential – Medical doctor. Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine or related studies.
- Desired – Medical Doctor Degree
- Specialization or training in tropical medicine would be an asset.
- Essential – Two years working experience related to the diploma/degree and previous experience in MSF in the field
- Desirable – Working experience in MSF or other NGO’s
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and knowledge of Tiv is desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, and internet).
- Strategic Vision
- People Management and Development
- Service Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation.
20th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications for this role can only be made online.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.