Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed, or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
- Job Position: Midwife
- Job Location: MSF OCA – Makurdi, Benue Project
Main objective and responsibility of the position
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow-up before, during, and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards, and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardized protocols.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counseling, test, and post counseling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women from the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual, protocols, and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about the importance of breastfeeding, vaccination, and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participate in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwives and the maternity ward supervisor. Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently. Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time. Clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections, and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions.
- Supervises the use of drugs, facilities, and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with a number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use. Ensure pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions, and above minimum safety point.
- 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocic’s, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and newborn care including neonatal resuscitation.
- 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (cesarean section, hysterectomy, laparotomy), safe blood transfusion, and care to sick and low birth weight newborns.
- Support SGBV activities.
- Essential – Midwifery qualification or specialization.
- Desired – Bachelor in Midwifery
- Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs.
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and knowledge of Tiv is essential
20th January 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applications for this role can only be made online.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.