The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Job Position: Migration Health Intern (Public Health)
Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- IOM through its Migration Health Division (MHD) promotes the health and well-being of migrants, but also more broadly
- facilitates health, population, and development from public health perspectives. In Nigeria, IOM work with the The government of Nigeria, other UN agencies, development partners and civil society organisation to delivers and promotes comprehensive, immediate, preventive, and curative health programmes which are beneficial, accessible, and equitable for migrants, mobile populations.
- Our overarching programmatic approach connects health and human mobility, improve community health resilience, and strengthens migration health governance towards the achievement of Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
- The IOM Internship Programme provides candidates with the opportunity to learn about IOM’s activities, to gain initial work experience, and/or gain knowledge on a broad range of migration technical areas and disciplines.
- Under the overall guidance of the Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Public Health Officer, the intern will assist in supporting and contributing to migration health programs at the Migration Health Division in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Support migration health programs in delivery of their tasks.
- Support research processes in thematic priority areas and assist in drafting reports / proposals.
- Facilitate communication with partners and stakeholders.
- Support the preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences, and meetings where applicable.
- Support the program in the preparation and disbursement of DSAs to workshop participants.
- Take minutes of meetings and assist in the preparation of papers, power point presentations and analytical contributions, as well as other products and tools that will facilitate the program deliverables.
- Support the timely and appropriate use of all procurement and logistics infrastructure for the effective implementation of project activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Internship Training Components / Learning Elements:
- Enhance the educational experience of the incumbent through practical and guided hands-on exposure to migration and health program development and management.
- Exposure to multilateral/ international development program management and corporation.
- General understanding of the work and mission of IOM Nigeria’s migration and health programs; the role of stakeholders and partners at Federal, State and Local levels
- Insight and hands-on experience on IOM Nigeria’s role in facilitating and promoting migrant-inclusive health policies, programs, and strategic action plan.
- Insight and hands-on experience in complex project management.
- Completed Undergraduate Degrees in Development-related fields such as Public Health, Public Administration, Sociology, and Anthropology.
Experience & Skills:
- Priority will be given to those eligible for the National youth service.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of development and the work of international organizations.
- Knowledge and understanding of private and public health sector issues.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Experience with data collection, analysis and synthesis is an asset.
- Basic administrative and project management skills
- Curious learner and growth mindset
- Ability to work effectively both on his/her own and within a team of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Fluency in English is required (Oral and Written).
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
4th May, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the “CFCV2023.52. Lagos, Migration Health Intern (Public Health)” as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- Note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.