CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. Our Mission CARE works around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice.
- Job Position: Nutrition Officer
- Job Location: Borno
- Vacancy Type: National
- Reporting to: Project Manager
CARE International has scaled up its intervention in Borno State, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. The Nutrition Officer will be based in Maiduguri performing on-going monitoring and support supervision, provide guidance to LGA partners on nutrition activities, assist the Project Manager in program planning and staff capacity building. The Nutrition Officer will monitor and support the performance of nutrition activities. Training of community-based volunteers (Mother-to-Mother, Support group, PMCs), Supervision, and Sensitization. The Nutrition Officer will mainstream nutritional activities with regards to Infant and Young Child Feeding practices and other nutrition programs.
- S/he will be required to conduct sensitization and MUAC (middle upper arm circumference) screening of Pregnant and lactating women (PLW) and children under 5 years.
- The nutrition assistant will screen, tally, register, and coordinate the screening of children to verify their age at the distribution point; the nutrition screener/register additionally is required to train the Nutrition volunteers.
- She/he will be tasked to report to the Project Manager on BSFP distribution update.
- The Nutrition Officer will collaborate with other INGOs on nutrition activities and to refer children identified with SAM and provide technical support to the nutrition assistant.
- She/he will be required to mainstream the nutritional activities in line with CARE/ standards in his or her LGA with regards to Infant and Young Child feeding (IYCF) programs.
- He/She will also provide guidance to LGA partners (IYCF Groups) on policy and methodologies to enhance service delivery at the Host community and camp level.
- The He/She is required to possess significant experience in inter-agency coordination in the management of complex field-based operations and emergencies, good knowledge of program management, and solid experience in the technical field of BSFP.
- He/She is expected to have the competencies of a skillful leader in guiding and supporting staff, addressing various operational challenges, along with increasing security concerns. Given the stressful nature of Borno’s security situation, which remains fluid and unpredictable, and its high interpersonal and communication skills demands, the nutrition Supervisor will need to be able to fit easily into a complex and highly operative team of various cultural backgrounds.
- University degree/HND/OND in any of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Public Health or related field.
- 1st Degree in a related field.
- At least 2 years’ experience in Nutrition, Biology, Public Health, Nursing, or food aid support.
- A good experience in supervision is required.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment, and relevant data analysis
- Previous experience working with an INGO or a Development organization.
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- 2-3 years progressively responsible experience in Nursing, Biology, Nutrition/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- 3 years progressively responsible experience in Nursing, Biology, Nutrition/or Public Health Sector of INGO and/or directly related area.
- Experience in development and/or humanitarian organization.
- Strong knowledge of Nutrition and/or Public Health.
- Advanced computer skills at least intermediate skills in windows based word processing, spreadsheet, and nutrition/public health software.
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate, and organize own work plan.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity, tact, advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, communication, and public speaking skills
- Understanding of political dynamics, foreign policy decision-making procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work without direction;
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills
- Details focus
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in the organization.
30% Field location; 70% travel to other sub-offices and Main office.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
CARE strongly encourages women to apply.
29th January 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online