Nuru Nigeria is a local NGO with affiliates in the US, Kenya and Ethiopia, and is starting up operations in Nigeria. The mission is to end extreme poverty in remote rural communities. Nuru’s first involvement in Nigeria was established in 2017 and began work in 2018 in Adamawa State, Nigeria with the creation of Nuru Nigeria. The long-term goal of Nuru Nigeria is the establishment of a locally led, self-sustainable, Nigerian NGO which will continue to work with local rural communities indefinitely.
Job Position: Payroll Officer
Job Location: Yola, Adamawa
- The Payroll Officer would work with the Administration and Human Resources Manager to ensure the timely and accurate processing of all monthly payrolls including payments to Ad-hoc staff, in accordance with the tax law and the organization’s policies and procedures.
- The position will also assist the Admin.& HR Manager in the assessment, design, and implementation of business process improvements that will lead to greater efficiency and value of NN’s payroll operations.
- Serves as point person for NN staff on all timesheet and payroll inquiries and related support requests.
- Work with the Admin. & HR Manager in ensuring payroll processing functions for all employees (system set-up, timesheet collection, all deductions such as PAYE, Pension, NSITE, NHF, salary increases, acting allowance, bonuses, etc are accurately computed and in line compliance with the Nigerian law.
- Oversees the processing of Adhoc staff monthly salary payment and ensuring the appropriate taxes are deducted.
- Works with external auditors to provide support and information for annual and other project related audits.
- Keeps abreast of the current changes in the Nigerian Employment laws and advise the Management accordingly through the Admin. And HR Manager.
- Works closely and collaboratively with HR Officer and Admin.& HR Manager to confirm/validate employee payroll information.
- Ensure reconciliation and timely remittance of all payroll-related taxes
- Liaise with the Tax Authority to obtain annual Tax Clearance Certificate for each employee.
- Verify that all payroll-related documentation is complete, recorded, and appropriately filled to maintain compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies and procedures.
- Support with the current ERP set-up and migration as it relates to the payroll
- Maintains the payroll processing timeline, ensuring timely submission of payroll reports for review and approval, and submission to the banks and tax offices for payment processing.
- Responsible for recommending and supporting the Admin. & HR Manager in implementing cost-saving procedures within the payroll function. Performs regular tracking, analysis, and reporting of payroll data across the NN.
- Maintains collaborative working relationship with team members and other staff
- Provide orientation for new hires on payroll related
- Other duties as assigned.
Reporting and Supervision:
- The Payroll Officer will report to the Administration and Human Resource Manager.
- No supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource, Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience as a payroll officer
- Experience working in KPMG, PWC or any other of the Big 5
- Experience working with USAID, GIZ, FCDO, EU, or other International NGOs would be an added advantage.
- A strong and a broad practical knowledge of managing payroll operations and leading practical solutions, and strong commitment to process improvement is required.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision on all payroll functions, identify multi-faceted problems affecting achievements of goals, requiring research into internal and external factors.
- Ability to analyze and interprets issues and proposes alternate solutions relaying on knowledge of professional standards and principles.
- Ability to consult with necessary stakeholders to identify emerging requirements and develop new and improved methods or procedures.
- Requires highly developed interpersonal skills, involving active listening, creativity and problem solving, to assure desired outcomes.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel and ERP is required
- Strong Analytical, data collection, written and verbal communication skills, capacity to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines required.
- High level of integrity and commitment to professional responsibilities.
Terms and Conditions
- The appointment will be for a 12 months period, renewable based on funding and performance.
Nuru Nigeria Offers
- Compensation range is N4,800,000 – N5,400,000 Annually subject to statutory deductions
- 18 working days of paid leave, 15 Days of paternity leave and 120 calendar days of paid Maternityleave
- 13th-month remuneration up to 70% of monthly gross
- Capacity development opportunities
- Conducive work environment
- Positive atmosphere of dynamism and motivated team setting.
- Atmosphere of a forefront professional and flexible NGO with a unique new development approach.
- Training and capacity building program and intensive mentorship by expat team.
- Life Insurance covering accident, disability and related benefits
- Health Insurance covering employees and family.
- Pension benefits.
- Atmosphere of diversity committed to providing equal employment opportunity, forbidding discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age and differently able, with respect to policies and visions.
- Other Labor best practices apply.
6th November, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Non-discriminatory Employment Clause
- Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of ethnicity, colour, gender, religion, socio-economic status, age, disability or health status
- The management of Nuru Nigeria reserves the right to verify all of the applicant’s information and conduct background checks on shortlisted candidates including reaching out to his/her previous employer.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.