Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
Job Position: Principal Technical Safety Engineer
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
- We’re seeking someone who’s an expert in process and technical safety engineering within the oil and gas sector.
- Here’s a role that will develop and grow your professional and personal skills, with the chance to make a real difference within a supportive, positive company.
Where You Fit in
- As a Principal Technical Safety Engineer, you will provide process/technical safety engineering expertise and support to Shallow Offshore projects, to enable the embedding of goal zero. You will act as the Technical Safety Technical Authority (TA2) for Shallow Offshore project team with accountabilities as defined in the AIPSM and DCAF.
- Moreover, you will lead reviews to help establish fit for purpose and cost-effective approach to technical safety engineering.
- You are tasked to provide specialist services and support for Process Technical Safety (HEMP studies) studies.
- You will also provide support, challenge and expert advice, relating to Design Integrity, Technical Integrity and Operating Integrity during the Design and Execute phases of the projects as well as drive the implementation of the Technical Safety Engineering discipline standards.
What’s the Role?
- As a Principal Technical Safety Engineer, you will provide hands-on Technical Safety Engineering services and support under the Engineering Lead and the accountabilities include:
Your further accountabilities will include:
- Executing HEMP studies to support Shallow Offshore Project team.
- Providing specialist services and support to the project team on requirements on HSSE Cases and the associated HEMP studies (HAZID, HAZOP, Bow-Tie, FIREPRAN, etc) supporting these HSSE Cases.
- Screen and/or Review E-MoC to support timely Technical Safety input to assure proper Risk Management in the Management of Change Process.
- Hazardous Area Classification (HAC) Review: Support HAC, ensuring timely Process/ Technical Safety input.
- Participating in audits, health checks, technical reviews, incident investigations and peer assists as the technical authority in the subject area.
- Provide input into detailed design of new facilities or modifications to facilities undertaken by the Shallow Offshore project team with special emphasis on safety and optimization of facility up-time/availability.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of HSSE & SP Control Framework and the Discipline Control and Assurance Framework (DCAF) for the effective delivery of projects within the Shallow Offshore project team.
- Provide Technical Authority (TA2) support for the Shallow Offshore Project Team.
- Promoting effective communication of Technical Safety best practices in Shallow Offshore projects.
- Lead HSE Risks Management:
- HAZID organisation/facilitations/contribution
- Hazard analysis using Bow Tie.
- Risk Assessment contribution/facilitation/training
- HSE Cases / ALARP demonstration process.
- Management of Change.
- Major Hazards Management.
- Physical Effect Modelling (using FRED software)
- Support Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA) review.
What We Need From You?
- We’re keen to hear from individuals with at least 10+ years of working experience in oil and gas business and its process safety aspects and preferably a Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Engineering or Advanced Science or equivalent.
Alongside this, we’d hope to see many of the following on your CV:
- Broad experience with EP and experience with Safety risk aspects of EP. A degree in safety risk engineering would be advantageous.
- Knowledge in use of design safety tools such as HSE Cases, Bowties, HAZID, FIREPRAN, HAZOP, Layout reviews, Fire & Explosion modelling, QRA, SIL, dispersion modelling, etc.
- Ability to manage resistance to change in complying with standards (including process safety standards) and operating within recommended envelopes.
- Strong technical, integration and interpersonal skills are essential for the successful performance of the job.
- Maintain an overview of hydrocarbon streams in an oil and gas infrastructure with many interconnections.
- Ability to work within teams – Well Engineering, Operations, other Disciplines in a dynamic and challenging team environment.
- Good understanding of business aspects of HSE in the short and long term.
- Passion, drive and commitment for HSE performance excellence.
- Good analytical skills and keen sense of reality.
Method of application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online