Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI) is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries.
Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
- Job Position: Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist
- Job Location: Akwa Ibom
- Start Date: April 2021
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency, and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
- The PFM Specialist in Akwa Ibom is a technical staff member embedded at the state-level. S/he will provide support and leadership to PFM activities and ensure relevant PFM interventions within the state.
- The PFM Specialist will provide technical assistance (TA) to all PFM activities within the state for which they are responsible. For example, s/he will facilitate activities such as developing annual procurement plans in key sectors health, education and WASH to foster greater transparency, reduce risk, and support service delivery efficiency. With guidance from the Technical Director PFM, this role will mentor partners and will provide TA to support realistic annual budget ceilings for the state ministry, department, and agencies. This role will collaborate on Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability assessment and PFM activity design and support implementation, and other activities as needed.
- Reporting: The PFM Specialist will report to the State Lead Akwa Ibom, and will coordinate closely with the Technical Director PFM on technical matters.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Accounting, Business, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, etc. However, four (4) additional years of relevant international development experience can be substituted for the bachelor’s degree. Master’s preferred.
- At least nine (9) years of relevant professional experience. At least three (3) years of demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of international development activities, with preference given to democracy and governance activities under a USG instrument, or experience related to the technical area of the position.
- Experience working in the PFM, democracy, and governance sector in Nigeria.
- Prior experience in overseeing the awarding and managing grants to local organizations to promote democracy and governance goals preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English language
26th February, 2021.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using “Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist, Akwa Ibom” in the subject line of your email.
Note: Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.