Facebook – Founded in 2004, Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Over 2 billion people use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or Messenger every month to stay connected with friends and family, to discover what’s going on in the world, and to share and express what matters to them.
Facebook is defined by our unique culture – one that rewards impact. We encourage people to be bold and solve the problems they care most about. We work in small teams and move fast to develop new products, constantly iterating. The phrase “this journey is 1% finished” reminds us that we’ve only begun to fulfill our mission.
- Job Position: Public Policy Manager, Strategic Response Policy
- Job Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Facebook is looking for two people with the crisis, risk management, or decision support experience gained in tech, business, or government policy to join our Strategic Response Policy (SR Policy) team.
- The team’s purpose is to handle crisis situations that require cross-functional coordination, and communication to senior leadership, in order to mitigate serious risks to the company or the community. This could relate to pieces of content posted on the platform, the impact of terrorist attacks and violent incidents on our platforms, and thinking strategically about how geo-political events may present policy risk.
- SR Policy sits within our Content Policy team which is responsible for setting our Community Standards and Business Policies governing content on the platform.
- The role of SR Policy is to help leadership make enforcement decisions in the most critical cases when operating under significant time challenge and stakeholder scrutiny. To do that we operate a global 24 / 7 on-call shift system, with responsiveness and accuracy of written communications being of paramount importance.
- You will need to be personally resilient, flexible, and able to multi-task, enjoy quick turnaround work and be prepared to work on thematic issues that some may find emotive.
- You will be expected to operate independently and be confident managing multiple internal stakeholders, balancing differing opinions and perspectives, and weighing up risk in order to provide effective policy advice to leadership.
- To do this effectively, you are likely someone who can think strategically about risk, whilst also able to probe into the detail of fast-moving situations. Someone who has operated at the intersection of policy and operations may be particularly suitable.
- You will be based in the EMEA region and will provide a focal point for issues across Africa and Europe respectively. SR Policy is a global team that responds to issues across regions and time-zones. You will be expected to work on issues as they arise irrespective of geography.
- London is the preferred location for these roles but we will also consider Berlin, Paris, Johannesburg, or Lagos.
- Personally resilient, flexible, and able to multi-task
- Prepared to work on thematic issues that some may find emotive
- To operate independently, and be confident managing multiple internal stakeholders
- Effective at thinking strategically about risk
- To assist leadership with making enforcement decisions in the most critical cases when operating under significant time challenges
- To respond at a pace to fast moving-situations
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Legal, Political Science, Risk Management, or related discipline
- Significant experience in policy, legal, risk, or crisis management
- Highly developed drafting and reasoning skills
- Experience providing decision support and advice to senior executives
- Effective at consensus-building, and communicating with internal and external audiences.
- Interest in political, security, or cultural issues across the African continent, or Europe
- Skilled at personal resilience and working at a pace
- Advanced-level Degree
- Experience in strategic responses, risk or crisis management
- Policy implementation or enforcement
- Some experience or knowledge in international Internet / social media issues
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Tagged as: Information Technology, Social Media, Technical