The Niger Basin Authority (NBA) is an Inter-Governmental Organization of West and Central Africa which is comprised of nine (9) member countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, and Chad. Its goal is to promote cooperation among its member countries and ensure integrated development in all areas of energy, water resources, agriculture, livestock, fisheries, fish farming, forestry, logging, transportation, communication, and industry. NBA’s financial resources come mainly from member countries’ contributions and assistance of development partners.
- Job Position: Regional Project Coordinator
- Recruitment Notice No.: 001 / 2021 / ABN / EPM / DAF / CDRH / DT / NB-ITTAS
- Job Location: Niamey, Republic of Niger
- Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Project Name: NB-ITTA Project
- The NB-ITTAS Project offers a significant opportunity for the sustainable use of natural resources – water, land, forests, etc. – in the Niger Basin. NB-ITTAS (Niger Basin – lullemeden-Taoudeni / Tanezrouft Aquifer System), involving four implementing partners – NBA (for Components 2, 3 and 4), OSS (for Components 1, 2 and 4), UNIDO (for Component 3) and UNESCO (for Component 4), is the expression of the implementation of the NBA Niger River Basin’ SADP and the development of the Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA) and Strategic Action Plan (SAP) of the lullemeden-Taoudeni/ Tanezrouft Aquifer System (ITTAS or SATT in French).
The project covers the following aspects:
- Negative impacts of climate change that put pressure on human health, food security and livelihoods and/or resilience in general;
- Degradation of land and other natural resources and changes in the way those resources are used;
- Changes in the hydrological regime; resulting from a combination of climate variability and change;
- Pollution: (i) Industrial pollution; (ii) Mining pollution; (iii) Oil pollution; (iv) Agricultural pollution; (v) Invasive aquatic plant infestations.
- To ensure a proper implementation and follow-up of the Project’s actions on the field, the Niger Basin Authority is launching a call for applications for recruiting a Regional Project Coordinator.
Duration of the Contract
The contract has a duration of (1) year, renewable, with a six-month trial period. The renewal of the contract is subject to a joint evaluation conducted by the NBA Executive Secretariat and UNDP.
- Under the supervision of NBA and UNDP, the Regional Coordinator, in charge of the project as a whole, is responsible for the implementation and follow up of the project as defined by the project documents and following the general procedures and guidelines established by UNDP, UNEP, NBA, OSS, UNIDO and UNESCO.
- In particular, the Coordinator is responsible for leading the project team within the Project Coordination Unit (PCU). He/She is responsible for the financial management of Component 4, as well as the financial and technical monitoring of the other components, following the implementation reports submitted by the other executing agencies.
- The Coordinator will also be responsible for the administrative and technical management of the project, as well as for ensuring relations with all project partners and stakeholders (donors, executing agencies, national focal points, regional steering committee, etc.).
- In general, the Regional Coordinator is responsible for the proper implementation of the PCU’s missions.
- He/She should also report progress and difficulties to the members of the steering committee.
The Regional Project Coordinator will be recruited on a competitive basis through a call for applications published in NBA Member Countries’ national press.
- Fields of expertise: Environment or water resources;
- Degree: MBA, Engineering Degree, Master’s Degree (MSc) or PhD;
- Knowledge of computer tools: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, statistical software;
- Languages: Excellent command of French or of English (spoken, written), with preference given to bilingual applicants.
- Proven ability to lead multidisciplinary teams;
- In-depth knowledge of the Niger Basin and its ecology;
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff;
- Ease interpersonal relations;
- Excellent negotiating skills;
- Proven ability in computerized project management;
- Knowledge of UNDP project management procedures.
- Management of water resources and/or the environment, particularly as regards regional projects;
- Proven experience in project management at national and regional level;
- Experience of working in the countries of the Niger River Basin, OSS, within the framework of international or national organisations involved in development;
- Experience in strategic management and technical supervision functions;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent analytical, writing and reporting skills;
- Experience of working in international and/or regional organisations;
- A first experience in running a UNDP project;
- Number of years of experience required: 10 years minimum
16:00 GMT; 26th March, 2021.
How to Apply
Applications must include the following documents:
- A signed and dated cover letter;
- A recent and detailed curriculum vitae signed and dated;
- An authenticated copy of the certificate of nationality or any other document justifying citizenship;
- An authenticated copy of degrees, diplomas and certificates of qualification;
- An authenticated copy of certificates or attestations of work or services;
- One(1)lD photo;
- The names and addresses of three (3) reference persons.
- Recruitment will be done in accordance with NBA’s rules and procedures for contracting consultancy services. The three (3) best candidates will be selected and ranked in their order of merit. The results will be submitted to the NBA Executive Secretariat and UNDP that will select the most qualified of the three (3) selected candidates.
- The TDRS are available; if you need them, please contact the addresses above.